some convertor help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some convertor help please.

this was for Brian Rock ,but I figured I would ask everbody .
    we just done a 400 pontiac for my dads 69 firebird.
    it is a 030 400, 9.5 to 1 compression, 62 heads with a good valve job. cam spec are in 224 /ex 234 @050 .465/488 lift with lobe centers 107/117. using a performer intake and a q-jet, but that may become a holley in the future. the trans is a 200r4, and 3.55s in the rear.
    this is his driver but he may make a pass or two , and he doesnt baby his stuff.
    my question is what stall would you guys reccomend. ive been looking at art carrs 9.5 in, 2800 lock -up.
    I have more engine combo info at home if needed. Im not much of a automatic guy, I think a TkO would answer this question . ;D
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Re: some convertor help please.

that would probably work pretty well....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

well thanks squirrel. I thought I would get more opinions. glad im on the right track.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

I was thinking a little higher perhaps 3000 rpm lock up or so, gets into the power band quickily.

Mike

Comment

only thing is, it's a sort of small cam so the power band isn't real far up the rpm band, and since it's a poncho you can't spin it real fast or it'll blow up

I'd think 2500-2800 would be about right.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thanks guys, thats what ive been wondering. plus trying to find a good convertor manafacturer. they all make alot of promises. this is my dads so i want it right ...the first time.
            Reading , Pa
            Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

Do you have any idea what RPM peak TQ will be at and what RPM you will shift at? I would assume around 3500 RPM for peak TQ and shift around 5000. If that is the case I would look for a converter that will footbrake down around 2400-2500 and flash stall up around 3500-3800 RPM.

I think a phone call to ATI or Coan would be a good move. Both can build a converter that would hit the right stall RPM. I have had EXCELLENT results from Coan.

Comment

So do you think it woould be worth dynoing it. I know its mild, but can do it during a club meeting for 200 bucks. `i know it would be great to help decided between a q-jet or a holley. and has anybody had luck with a spread bore holly?
                gotta rebuild the diff this week, then the frt suspension and swap the disc brakes .then ill swing this thing into it.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

2500rpm max I would say for a poncho. They are torque monsters and usually don't need lots of stall. That cam is basically a Ram Air III cam.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't skimp buy the converter from a good manufacturer. I have a B&M converter in my car that is supposed to stall at 2500.... 1700 would be more like where it stalls... Unless the moon is aligned with Saturn and Venus is rising - then it stalls where it darn well feels like it....

Comment

i was looking at Art Carr since his did alot with 200r4s, and Eric reccomended the Coan and look how good his car works. My therory is that I dont buy cheap clutches for my stick box cars , why would I buy a cheap converter. Even though Dads idea of cheap and mine are 2 different things......
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.

Comment

PTC built a buetiful one just to match my car. It works real well and I am happy with it, for the price $275 i couldn't bet it.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X