Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmmmm.......road trip to Maxton this summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm.......road trip to Maxton this summer?

I'd like to make a road trip to Maxton this summer (June 28-29th) We have relatives that live about 90 miles away in Wilmington.

I see the rules state 135mph for a rookie. What's the best way to limit MPH on a car that "might" be able to exceed that rule? Besides seatbelt and helmet, is there anything else I need to consider before running? The info I found on the website indicates it being abit more involved than showing up a a dragstrip. Need to be a member of ECTA, get a number/logbook and register for the event?

What other suggestions would you guys recommend for getting the "brick" to feel comfortable on the stretch? Mind you, I'll be driving down and back from Jersey so, race only suggestions are out.

Re: Hmmmm.......road trip to Maxton this summer?

I'm in the "Ogden" area of Wilmington, and it's 100.3 miles from my front door to the track. Check in when you get here and we'll go out for the finest burger on the planet (or one of the finest, anyhow).

As far as rookie stuff -
    1 - Join the ECTA
    2 - Get the rule book (comes with membership) and check the rules. Among other things, you'll need to find a class.
    3 - Make a guess at your top speed, and find safety requirements in the rule book. If you can scare up a 6 point and a set of real 3" seat belts, you can probably run about anything that the car will do.
    4 - To save a few bucks, once you find a class, pre-register.
    5 - Once you get to the track check in with the administrative trailer. They will give you the paperwork you'll need for tech inspection.
    6 - Get the car tech-checked next. At that time, you'll be assigned a maximum speed that you can run. Be sure to get the paperwork signed by the inspector. Also, be sure that your helmet has a sticker from the inspector.
    7 - Go back to the admin trailer and pay for your classes (if you haven't pre-registered). BE SURE to get the EVENT STICKER, which goes on your windshield near the speed sticker. Without it, Al the Starter will NOT let you go down the track.

Hope this gives you enough info to get started.

Later
    Dan

Comment

As far as the speed regulation side goes. 1.) If no speedo, calculate the rpm fort the135mph speed and try to regulate the throtte there (trust me it's a hard temptation to fight). If you've got a good working speedo, enjoy the course, it's a nice drive.

Comment

Dennis put a GPS in the car.

Bummer about those long run rules, 135mph for a rookie, anything I would like to take has gone faster in less distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1320
          Dennis put a GPS in the car.

Bummer about those long run rules, 135mph for a rookie, anything I would like to take has gone faster in less distance.
          Trust me, the 135mph rule is a good idea and even if you're accustomed to 6-second passes at the drag strip, this will be different enough that you will feel like a total noob. 135mph is plenty fast in the standing mile.

Also, most "drag racer" stuff that can go faster, can't go that fast for long. It's quite a bit different at Maxton.

-scott
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

i've been thinking about this too.
            what if i go faster than "135" by accident? are they going to kick me out?
            how many passes do i need to make before i can go all out?
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I just became a ECTA member and Tonya sent me the Rule Book, which I have been studying. Yes, if you go faster than your license catergory allows, you will get in trouble. I seem to recall that they can knock your license catergory back one or even bar you from the event, but I can't find it now to quote it. The run does not count either.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

Trust me, the 135mph rule is a good idea and even if you're accustomed to 6-second passes at the drag strip, this will be different enough that you will feel like a total noob. 135mph is plenty fast in the standing mile.

Also, most "drag racer" stuff that can go faster, can't go that fast for long. It's quite a bit different at Maxton.

-scott
                Scott,

I understand what you are saying. But it is not always true.
                I ran and built the motors for an APBA team back in the '90s,
                Rain X Press Class B. Pushing an offshore boat takes a lot of
                hp much more than pushing a car though the air.
                So making endurance motors is easy. Most of the stuff I build
                I try and draw upon ALL of my racing background to make
                strong, reliable bad asre stuff. ;)

Cheers

Comment

Is there a copy online of the ECTA rules? I would like to run my camaro there at least once.

I already have a 6 point bar and 5 point harness in the car.

Comment

A couple of answers.

There's a short version of the rules at the website <ecta-lsr.com>. Look under the Top Speed Challenge heading. These rules are not complete, but they will get you in the right direction.

As far as exceeding the 135 speed. All kinds of terrible things COULD happen, but Keith will give you a bit of leeway and if he's convinced that your INTENT was to do the right thing, the worst that generally happens is that he'll send you back down the track to try again for a 135ish run. I have seen a couple of guys get kicked off the track, but generally that's after repeated warnings, and guys with an "attitude".

We have several drag cars who come out, and they usually go home humbled after their first meet. I love it when they come back with renewed enthusiasm and an increased respect for the difference between the two sports. While both are difficult, they are NOT the same thing. For example, we have a guy with a first gen Camaro who is now more or less a regular, and I think he's having a ball.

As I always must, don't hesitate to come and volunteer - you can contact me thru the website and we'll set you up. It's a great way to get your feet wet, see what others are running, and BS with the racers.

Later
                    Dan Stokes
                    Volunteer Coordinator, ECTA

Comment

Thanks Dan.... I'm BIG on attitude... show me your's I'll refund your money... delete your times...and send your ass packing...

Cool... that sound enough like a bully yet?

Seriously it's always best just to do the right thing... I enjoy doing my job there... rarely someone will come along and make it miserable... and I simply deal with them...

K

Comment

As Keith knows, I've had mine surgically removed.

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                        Thanks Dan.... I'm BIG on attitude... show me your's I'll refund your money... delete your times...and send your ass packing...

Cool... that sound enough like a bully yet?

Seriously it's always best just to do the right thing... I enjoy doing my job there... rarely someone will come along and make it miserable... and I simply deal with them...

K

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1320
                          Originally posted by dieselgeek

-scott
                          Scott,

I understand what you are saying. But it is not always true.
                          I ran and built the motors for an APBA team back in the '90s,
                          Rain X Press Class B. Pushing an offshore boat takes a lot of
                          hp much more than pushing a car though the air.
                          So making endurance motors is easy. Most of the stuff I build
                          I try and draw upon ALL of my racing background to make
                          strong, reliable bad asre stuff. ;)

Cheers
                          I understand. I had my first offshore boat tuning experience last July at the POPRA event in Long Beach, CA. Offshore powerboat engines are probably the most abused racing engines out there! there is no "coasting" on the water!!!

-scott
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

You do not want to go for a ride in Turk"s truck. ask the guy from Motor Trend!

Comment

Originally posted by purplecobra
                              You do not want to go for a ride in Turk"s truck. ask the guy from Motor Trend!
                              You also don't want to have Tonya tell him to go yell at you after he just quit smoking!

Comment

Working...
                              X