Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmmmm.......road trip to Maxton this summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hmmmm.......road trip to Maxton this summer?

I think an offshore engine might make a really good LSR engine. If anyone has a Chevy I6 offshore engine that they want to try at LSR, just drop me a PM!

Later
    Dan

Comment

oh hell Dan do you want a mercusier now? :D

Comment

Oh man, this thread has got me all excited about LSR again. I wonder what a Offshore Powerboat engine would do in an LSR car?

I'm hoping to be able to attend Maxton in April and volunteer to get my feet wet and get a flavor for the sport. Since I don't have much of the safety stuff installed yet, I would like to make a 100+ MPH run to validate my Category E license and then make another qualifying run between 125 - 135 MPH (if the old girl will do it) to get my Category D license.

Then I'll have a whole year to get the safety equipment installed ...

Comment

Terry - Nope. I'll run the bits I have. What I was thinking about was that these engines are built to run WOT all day long - just our cup of tea.

Monster - Looking forward to seeing you there! You will, I can guarantee, have a BLAST!

Dan

Comment

I just went through the rules and it looks like to me, that with a few minor changes, I might be legal to 175mph. I have some questions though...

Why are factory rims not allowed over 150mph? I am using 16" iroc rims. I have been using them for road racing and they are better than a lot of aftermarket rims in balance and durability.

I am using a C-clip 10 bolt rear setup with fixed caliper disk brakes (trans am WS6 stuff). Would the disk brakes be an adequet axle retention device? The wheel would have to rip the entire caliper and brake backing plate off for the axle to exit, unless it broke outside the bearing. If it broke outside the bearing, there is nothing short of a full floating rear that would retain the axles.

Also, why are no open face helmets allowed? I have a nice SA2000 kevlar Bell that I use for all other racing adventures!

Comment

Rick, As far as axle retention, if the c clip failed and the axle tried to exit the housing, the disk brake rotor would try to lock up that rear wheel when it came in contact with the caliper, kinda like putting on some brake on only one wheel. I would imagine it would be a handfull at speed. Don't know about the rest.

Comment

On the full-face helmet, the issue is fire. The last thing the starter will do is make sure you have your shield down. This will keep the flash off your face. Also, it's just plain safer - the full face is just plain stouter. I had to buy a new one, too, so I know where you're coming from. Also, we copy the SCTA rules pretty closely, and this is their decision, so we go with it. Maybe some of the other guys have more input?

Later
                Dan

Comment

I'm very seriously thinking of going with my brother this year, we've never been there. It looks like it will be quite a bit of fun. I plan on just being a spectator. I'll be coming from Joisey
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have learned that in land speed racing a lot of the safety rules came into being as results of direct experience with accidents. For the face shield if you have a fire you could be quite a distance from emergency crews. Remember at Maxton the track is 1.9 miles long at Bonneville you could be 5,6,7 miles from an emergency crew. At Maxton the emergency crews are at the halfway mark - Either way they have a mile to go to get to you. There are people at the start line the halfway mark and at shutdown that have fire extinguishers but you could still end up off course quite a distance away. The other thing is a fire at 200MPH might be a little intense with the wind pushing it towards you. ECTA rules are as close to the SCTA (bonneville) rules as Kieth and crew can make them and still take into account the unique differences at Maxton. This helps if you build a car for Maxton and then decide to run it at Bonneville.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Hey Huskinhano, stand by for a suggestion to become a volunteer at the track from Dan ;D

... which is what I'm going to do, to get a little closer to the action and have an opportunity to talk to the participants and see their cars and set-ups. Supposed to be a blast !!

Comment

Thanks Monster! This saves me an entry. Oops, I guess I just MADE and entry!

He's right. We'd LOVE to have your help. Especially for the April meet, we always have a big turnout and can use all the help we can get. We'll need to pre-stage on the entry road so the staging lanes don't get filled to overflowing, so that will need to be staffed. Interested? You'll get to BS with all the racers as they patiently wait. We also have other spots if you have an interest.

Later
                        Dan

Comment

Another consideration is if you're doing a 100+ mph run when the terminal meltdown happens it'll take some time for you to stop and get out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X