Ford 8" carrier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 8" carrier question

At some point I'd like to put in a limited slip in my 66 Mustang. I don't want to come off sounding like a noob but is there a way to convert or modify an 8" open carrier to limited slip? The reason I ask because I've seen 8" limited slip set ups off a guy on ebay and have talked to other folks who seem to imply that there is a way of doing this. Normally I know that there are dedicated carriers for each. I do know there was a "trick" to doing it on 9" carriers where extra spider gear washers where added. I know that it would most likely not last too long or be up to a lot of abuse. So what's the story on the 8"? Are they doing the same by adding extra spider gear washers? Oh, I'm not planning on doing this, more to be on the look out if this what's being done.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: Ford 8" carrier question

You can make a spool by arc welding the side and spider gears together. Would I do it? No way!

You can make a limited slip by shimming the side gears. Would I do it? No way!

There are limited slip 8" diffs you can buy, new or used, they are not cheap, but it's the right way to do what you want to do.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah, I think they're more of limited-jammed than limited-slip. If you need it go out and get a true limited-slip carrier.
      sigpic

Comment

You can use your stock carrier and use a Powertrax locker in it.you don't have to reset up your gears,you just remove the axles and spider gears,slide this in and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by joebogey
          Yeah, I think they're more of limited-jammed than limited-slip. If you need it go out and get a true limited-slip carrier.

That's more of what I was thinking they did. I mostly wanted to verify that myself...one of life's little mysteries *LOL*
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
          X