Hello and a question about quench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello and a question about quench

All the best minds seem to have the same opinion. I've done all my motors at zero with a .038 gasket, but I still think it would make for a good test. Maybe I'll do some testing myself...

I am curious about the N2O angle. Why does it eat the quench side ring lands?

How much nitrous is "big"?

How far down the hole do you want to be once you're at big N2O levels?

Comment

If it does not burn the gas from being to rich and a small quench the gas gets under the ring and blows up lifting the ring land a rich motor get hurt way more than a lean one does everyone plays it safe and sets them rich BOOM :
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

This guy Larry Widmer has some very interesting thoughts on combustion chamber design. Hot Rod ran a couple of stories on him in the mid 80's about his "soft head" design. Very controversial fellow, personally I thought he had a lot of merrit to his theories and made for a good read. He use yo have the articles on his web site but appears to have removed a few of them on the subject. He has a very good story on Bob Glidden as well. Here's a link.

Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I just went through this "revised" article of his;

Interesting reading.
          Makes me wish I had the ability to play and play with heads and test.
          I wonder what his views are on the Singh-groove ideas.
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have run both .045 and .071 at 9.28:1 and am running no differernce in the timing curve, both run on 87 octance, and they run just fine. Each has close to the same 270° seat to seat cam timing, but the 390 has the piston .004 in the hole 224° @ .050 and .531 lift, on a 110° at 106° intake the 352 is 186° at .050 and .401 lift. on a 113° with a 110° intake The 352 is .030 in the hole but does have a much smaller chamber set of heads (just a set of repeatedly milled old late truck heads with what appeared to be a decent valve job on them) laying around I put on that got the compression to be the same as the 390. It was just to move the car around, but who knew it would run so damn good? Yes the 390 will eat it alive, but the worn out blowby puffing 352 holds its own much to my and everyone else who knows whats there's surprise

I don't call it a myth buster by any means, but I like keeping that top ring down where its cool myself, and focusing on ring land seal. But given a choice in building, .045 is a pretty good number to shoot for.

Comment

Working...
            X