and so fourth Would be a Good Air compressor
    Looking to maybe spend 400-600 buck range
    Would like the best I could get in that range

I'm hearing the belt driven would be best bet

I You can get as big as You can afford That is my limit
    And would this be ran 220 ? Sorry for the stupid Question

Looking for some advice

Re: Air compressor help

Find an old compressor, bigass type, they seem to be a better value....I got mine well used 15 years ago for $600, at the time they sold for about 1200 new. 20 cfm or so, 220v 25 amps(?), "real" 5 hp, belt drive, two stage iron pump.

Definitely get as big as you can afford, or bigger, and if you have to get direct drive you'll want to keep it outside or in another room, they are very loud.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I bought this Puma from Harbor Frieght a few years ago, I'm quite pleased with it. I looked at many different brands and thought this was the best one for the money. Plus I got free shipping on it. Check the specs to others in the same price range.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Jim' is, as usual, right on. Don't worry too much if the pump needs a rebuild - it's just like redoing a small engine, except the valves are way easier.

That said, I didn't want to move my Binks (Quincy pump - it was stupid heavy) from MI to NC, so I bought a Delta from Sam's Club when I got here. Seems like a pretty good unit for the price. Of course, Delta didn't actually build it, and I haven't been able to find the maker of the pump. The motor, however, is a Century. So far, it's been a good deal and very reliable.

Don't know if this helps.

Dan

Comment

What you want to do is find that guy who's moving and can't take his big compressor with him....I got mine from a friend who was moving up to Minnesota.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

thanks I watch the moving sales as well good advice thanks again

I talked to my CUZ tonight he also said the sams AC was a pretty good deal for the $$

Comment

I had bought a new $400 compressor at Price Club a couple years before I got the big one, I sold the new one soon after.

My fabulous web page

Comment

also try some of your local automotive swapmeets. you would be suprised at the deal youll get. i bought mine at the pomona auto swapmeet ($800 compressor for $200 and works great)

Comment

Also see if there's a compressor service place around you. Possible they either have some used stuff that's pretty decent, or possibly something that needs work that someone else didn't want to invest in. My Dad picked up a compressor from a friend that had a shop, was an old no-name, ran off 110v, that the motor went. It was mounted to a wooden cart with wheels, so it came on over to his garage. He replaced the motor and has been using it ever since. I can't remember how much he paid though, it was maybe 25 years ago.
                  sigpic

Comment

You might look at Farm/Supply stores. I bought a Campbell Hausfeld six horse, sixty gallon average 10.2 scfm at 90 psi, belt driven, cast iron compressor... worked it like a dog for eight years, I'd highly recommend it. I paid around $450 for it and they don't seem to have gone up much.

Comment

Wow Thanks for all the Info

Comment

Don't forget Home Depot. They have pretty good prices. and you have a brand new piece.
                        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

You might want to check out Ebay.there are several freight damaged units for pennies on the dollar and they work just fine. May have some scrapes and dents,but that never seems to hurt the motor in most cases.I bought one last year for 300 dollars and it sold for well over 800 new in Lowes.
                          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Make sure you consider what you'll be using it for before you drop big $ for a compressor. If you're not going to be doing much body work (paint / sand / etc), you can likely get by with a smaller compressor. If you're going to try painting and body work, I'd pony up for a big one. Good Luck.

Comment

some compressors have the option of being eather 110v or 240v. the 240v setting will draw the least amps and save a little on the electric bill.

Comment

Working...
                              X