Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket Material

Howdy,

I need some gasket material for making a custom timing cover gasket. In a Buick V6 the oil pump is in the timing cover and there is a transfer passage between the block and the cover. I need to make a whole new gasket to seal on my hybrid cover. What kind of material do you think I should use? Neoprene, paper, buna-N?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Gasket Material

I'm not familiar with that particular design, but timing chain cover gaskets are usually paper.

Comment

they should have the thick paper gasket material in rolls at your friendly local auto parts store (FLAPS for you acronym types)

might want to get the same thickness and material type as the normal gasket that comes in the gasket set, eh?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'd use the stock type paper gasket. I haven't looked at one recently, but I'd think the Light Blue paper is similar to the stock timing cover gasket.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

most of my FLAPS have ROL stuff, I think I've seen the blue paper stuff. I actually have an LC2 timing cover gasket and an L67 gasket, I wonder if I could use one of them or cut and splice them... thoughts?
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

If you can cut and splice at none critical points (i.e. Oil pump journals or Water passages) then Black RTV a little extra where the two gaskets meet it would probably work perfectly. After all most of the timing cover gasket only has to seal oil splash and a little difference in air pressure between the atmosphere and crankcase.

Comment

Well this one will have to deal with crankcase pressure with boost from the turbo but I'm hoping thats not much between the electric vacuum pump and the new rings. I think I'll try a spliced gasket in the NA trial mode.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

With enough cure time the Black sealant is pretty much stronger than the gasket, or so it seems everytime I try to break apart parts I've sealed with it.

Comment

How is the cover modified from original, and why not use an anerobic sealer?

Comment

Upper section is the upper half of a dry sump cover from a Stage II Off Center Busch racing V6 that's been cut with a band saw then ground to fit over the top of the lower section which is from a Series II 3800 FWD motor. I've matched them up pretty well with aluminum then I've filled in the gaps with a combination of JB weld and Quik-Steel expoxies kinda like a skim coat of filler. The two halfs will be sealed together with aviation form-a-gasket. This is for the block to cover halfs interface.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Lots of fellows in the TR/LC2/Stage engine universe like this product:

GE 1200 Series is a one-part building and glazing acetic cure silicone sealant that cures to a tough, flexible rubber through the moisture cure process. GE SCS1200 Silicone Sealant is used to seal building joints to prevent the penetration of rain, air and noise.

------------HTH & HNY!-----------

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
                        Lots of fellows in the TR/LC2/Stage engine universe like this product:

GE 1200 Series is a one-part building and glazing acetic cure silicone sealant that cures to a tough, flexible rubber through the moisture cure process. GE SCS1200 Silicone Sealant is used to seal building joints to prevent the penetration of rain, air and noise.

------------HTH & HNY!-----------
                        I swear that stuff was everywhere on the donor drysump upper cover I got..... It might seal well but boy is it a pain to get off of stuff. I ended up scapeing most of it off with a razor blade then getting the rest off with sandpaper. If it leaks with regular RTV on the joints I'll try it, other wise keep it away from me!
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Yep, some guys use wayyy too

much than the amount required.

Remember, it only has to

removed at rebuild-time

but needs to be sealed every day.

Comment

Working...