Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buick 455 rods

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    I'm not sure the stock rods in a BBB are forged either, they are pretty strong though.
    Here's one of a few places I know I've read about the rods being Forged. I couldn't find my service manual, probably in CA.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That's from the Car Craft/Hot Rod big block shootout article. If you look at the parting lines on the rods, they are the thin cast type rather than the wide forging line. I'm pretty sure they are like the cranks, cast from nodular iron rather than grey iron; though they might be armasteel like the caddy and oldsmobile rods.

Do you recall any discussion on what the "nipple" in the middle of all Buick pistons is for?
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I've often wondered about the nipple too. The aftermarket .040 over pistons I got had less of a dish and no nipple. Anyone know? I figured it has something to do with either swirl or how the flame front travels across the piston from the spark plug. But I'm not an engineer.

I got a box of Buick 455 rods sitting in an un-openned box in my kitchen, I'll take them out and get some pictures of them, maybe they will be more telling. I haven't seen enough different rods to be able to tell by what processes they were made.

**Edit** My Odd-Fire 231 had the same feature on the pistons.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I always thought it was just a place to put the center to machine them, but I don't KNOW that. Interested to hear what others have to say.

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X