Header collector-types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header collector-types

In the near future I will start TIG-welding a set of headers in 2-1/8" stainless tubing for my 496" supercharged motor.
    I've got the tubing and bends on the shelves already, but have been looking around for some kind of premade collector to make things easier for me.

I've been eyeballing the collector-types on following website;
    SPD offers a wide range of collectors for all racing applications. Merge Collectors are the choice of most Professional Engine Builders and Race Teams thoughout all forms of motorsports. Prebent tubes are machine cut, hand fit and tig welded to form a pyramid inside each collector for proper air flow management. Merge collector are available in a varity of angles, styles and materials to suit almost any application.

The collectors I'm looking at mostly are the "MC", "Tri-Y's" and the regular "Formed" ones on above site, all necking down to a 3" tube for the rest of the exhaust.

Can someone more experienced than me tell me what type of collector will be most beneficial?
    The mostly street-engine will have a 8/71 blower, 440-1 Indy heads and a solid roller cam with 244/268 dur. @.050", 0.631" valvelift. 112 lobe sep.

I'm not on a quest for every last pony in the engine, but I'm wondering if collector-choice can make a significant improvement or not.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Re: Header collector-types

The fact that you are blown, means it just needs a way out, this is why fuel cars have a zoom header
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I remember an old CC article from some time ago that compared collector types. This was back when Flowmaster first came out with their 4-2-1 collectors like this.

Seems at the time when they compared it to a standard 4-1 collector, there was an overall improvement, but if you put them on one way low-end torque increased, and the other way high-end hp increased. I would think the tri-y would be the best if this is going to be a street engine.
      sigpic

Comment

Jeff,
        I've given that some thought also, but... (I'm no expert with blown-applications at all) how does the exhaust-side 'know' air/fuel is being pushed in at the intake-side?
        I agree cylinder-scavenging, which could help pulling a fresh charge into the cylinder, might be a little less relevant here, but the scavenging of exhaustgasses itself is still pretty important right? Otherwise some leftover exhaustgas might polute the fresh incoming fuel.

Joe,
        How do you mean 'put them on the other way'?

With the 500" stroker-engine, I do think I have more than enough low-end torque already. More than any tire can handle on the street imo.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

These are the best type of collectors in my book.
          Formula 1 and other major classes use these exclusively too. ..and me! :P
          There are less expensive versions. Burns are the ultimate though.

But like Jeff says, if it's blown, I don't think collector type is a major concern.

Comment

Cool stuff.
            Like I said, I'm not trying to get the last pony out of there, but if one design might be better than the other, I'll most likely will go with that.
            If as said it will not matter, then I'll go with the one that's the easiest to install and weld for me.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I would recommend having them coated.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                Joe,
                How do you mean 'put them on the other way'?
                Sorry, at least I could understand what I was saying :

1 2
                3 4

If you look at the above as looking at the collector from the front of the car, the first merge and be for tubes 1&2 3&4 or 1&3 2&4. They saw differences when the rotated the collectors. The also found that tuning the collector length either way also helped, but I think that's universal no matter what type of collector you use.
                sigpic

Comment

Ok I get it. I was thinking (but not seeing) there a cone-type transition as seen on the sites mentioned earlier.
                  Didn't realise it would make quite a difference how they are installed, but after thinking about it I understand the logic of how it could with the cylinders firing-order and such.
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Quality? How about the best! And Jere loves Mopars, having had fun w'the first hi-po wedges & Hemis!
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stahl Headers has been manufacturing quality headers since 1963 & for the first time independent four-tube headers became available, after the initial sets appeared on the Jenkins/Strickler 409s.

It was Jere Stahl that invented the:

* adjustable primary header concept in 1968,

* stepped headers in 1969,

* adapter flanges in 1971,

* exhaust reversion collectors in 1979,

* flow booster collectors in 1983,

* the Stahl Y in 1990

* and velocity boosters in 1991.

Your headers will be built to your combo. Not "cheap"...but American value for the dollar.

Comment

You can always just make your own like these -- I just used a regular cheap Hooker collector and spent a little time making the 4 way "wing" shape where the 4 tubes come together.

Comment

I have a st-lagtight that's 8 inches long in my collector from lemons

Your blown motor should have a exhaust lobe that helps get the air out, and you are not trying to fill with the help of the exhaust so the science on your header is not so much.

Comment

did you read the latest issue of Hot Rod yet? about the LSR camaro? small headers...250 mph...big cubes...blower....

DF made a comment in another thread about how insignificant header size and configuration are on big blower motors

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Having an adequate/non-restrictive downpipe

& exhaust port-to-header matching are among

the few exhaust "musts" on a turbo engine.

Due to the enormous heat, the quality of the

construction, along w/the metallurgy, is of

prime concern w/turbo-car headers.

(Cannot speak from experience on issues

specific to Supercharger applications.) ---------

Comment

To big a exhaust on a turbo will kill it on the primary pipe the exit is a different story

Comment

Working...
                              X