Easy way to make cuts for braided line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy way to make cuts for braided line

Having my first experience with braided line the other day, led me to believe that cutting it properly is extremely difficult and time consuming using the tape and hacksaw method. So, being the bored, out of work, young engineer that I am I was trying to come up with a full proof way of doing this.

the first thing you need is a fuel injection type hose clamp in the right diameter that can be taken apart to get around the hose. These clamps look like this:

Wrap this around the hose and tighten it down pretty tight so it can't slide. Then support it in a vice by lightly clamping the tube in the vice.

Then, assuming you have any type of decent air compressor, grap your cut-off tool like this:

make a quick cut right at the edge of the clamp and there will be a few fibers left. clip these off with some side cuts.

after you do that, only slightly loosen the clamp until it will barely slide. move the clamp back about 1/16" and then begin to start it into the hose end. Once you have it started, continue to loosen/slide the clamp back as you push the hose all the way in

then lube the fitting and hose up with some silicone spray and tighten away.

Its really THE only way to fly.

Re: Easy way to make cuts for braided line

Good trick. I've used a worm clamp - a little more work but not really with a portable drill and socket.

Comment

i've made thousands of hoses and i use a pair of bolt cutters.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

the braided hose cutters and kool toolz installation kit are the greatest things ever invented. well worth their money if you have to make a lot of them

Comment

I wrap the hose with electrical tape and then cut through it with a cut-off tool.

Makes the cleanest cuts I've seen so far.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
            I wrap the hose with electrical tape and then cut through it with a cut-off tool.

I tried that first and using the hose clamp worked so much better...no braids poking you and making your fingers bloody

Comment

How do you get the clamp off of a hose you are putting both ends on?
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                How do you get the clamp off of a hose you are putting both ends on?
                I take the bolt out and then seperate the clamp with my hands. It came right off.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteduster360
                  Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

I tried that first and using the hose clamp worked so much better...no braids poking you and making your fingers bloody
                  Pansy ... that's half the fun of plumbing with braided lines!! ;D

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Either the clamp or tape works well with an abrasive saw, too. $100 at Harbor Freight, and good for other stuff, too.

Dan

Comment

you don't get to clock in until there is blood!!

I'm a tape and cutoff saw guy myself. I thought the Kool toolz thing looked really neat, it would definitely help someone that wasn't doing it all the time.

Bob

Comment

Much too fancy for this backyard hack. Tape and hacksaw for this cowboy. Besides you don't see any irregularities at the end of the hose... it's covered by the male/female fittings.
                        Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

These are what I use HK Porter cable cutters, when it cuts it rolls th braiding towards the inside which makes it a breeze to get the nut over the hose

Comment

Beverly Shear. Bolt cutters are a good alternative. Tape and a cut off wheel are third on my list. The clmp thing seems like a lot of extra work.
                            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

duct tape and a compound miter saw..(chop saw)
                              quick and fast..

Comment

Working...
                              X