door glass issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door glass issues

Anyone have any tips or tricks or advice when it comes to installing widows and getting them to roll up and down properly....The drivers side plastic plug that holds the slide on the window broke, so I replaced it but had to swap some things from the old door to the new door to get everything to work but getting this thing to roll up and down evenly is kicking my arse...there are what appears to be 2 forward and aft adjustments one for the rear and one for the front where the window rided in the vent windo channel....I'll see if I can get some pics up...maybe that will help .....

Re: door glass issues

Do you have the factory shop manual for the car? That is a help...if you don't, I'll see if I can scan some of it.

Be sure to lube all the metal-metal contact points in the regulator.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No...I dont have a shop manual....I get outbid all the time on ebay and they are kinda spendy if you find them anytwhere else...I do see them on disk on ebay from time to time for under 50 bucks...I'll just pick one up if you think it will help....not very convenient tho...

Comment

I pay fifty bucks to have a glass shop do that stuff. It's worth every penny to keep the skin on my forearms.

The little plastic wheels have broken off the regulator on my 65 Impala. I just got replacements, but I am not going to touch it.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Do you think a glass shop will have the low tech know how to make it right? There is PLENTY of room to work...but its a holy PITA....and I dont want to break the damn glass...its hard enough finding sheet metal for this damn thing....

Comment

I've got two I use here in LA. When I go next week, I also have to take a quarter window from a 60 something Ford Falcon and have them make a new glass for it. It's flat and totally surrounded by trim. They want $60 bucks each cash. The guy I go to doesn't take plastic, though the part of town he's in, I'm not surprised. He did my driver's door window last and it works like new.

My 73 Impala had power windows and it would routinely run the windows out of the channels and drop down into the door and quarter panel. All four of them did at least twice. I got pretty good at putting them back in and it was a major PITA and I always had scraped up arms and wrists.

I think you can do it. On my 65 they put the window on the regulator before putting it into the door. Then bolt it all in. I would leave the bolts somewhat loose so you will have some wiggle room getting it all in.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I would NEVER take an old car to a glass shop to have the window mechanisms repaired.....

Joe, I'll try to scan the manual pages that might help, send me a PM to remind me?
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Even auto glass shops?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Maybe in a big city they have competent shops, but around here they are clueless about old cars...they use urethane to glue in vent windows instead of using setting tape, etc.

My fabulous web page

Comment

There are dozens of glass shops in LA and I only trust two. What does that tell ya?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We have three glass shops in town, I think. I trust none of them with old stuff.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

there was a good mention of glass adjustments on one of the car shows-Dream Car garage Peter Klutt(sp?) they give some damn good resto info in the first 5 minutes of their show-you'll have to look thru the reruns to find it -think it was the one they were restoring a 70-71 Buick GS. IMO thats the best Car show going allways neet informative stuff, little funny no BS deadlines or drama added , hope this helps and you can find it!
                        Rich -DFW area 1999 2000 HRPT Participent 2001 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2012 2013 2014 2015 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          Maybe in a big city they have competent shops, but around here they are clueless about old cars...they use urethane to glue in vent windows instead of using setting tape, etc.

I think part of the problem is part of the slider/trim that attaches to the window and rided in the vent window track...where might I find this "setting tape"? I would really appreciate the images of that manual..when you get time of course. thanks Jim...

Comment

The setting tape is used on cars a bit older than yours. The slide you need was available at the dealer last time I worked on one of those 25-30 years ago

The book I have for full size cars is from 68, midsize from 66, so won't be exact for your car....hopefully close though...I think.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Is that the stuff you stuff into the channel to hold windows inplace? Mines come loose on my drivers door and I'm debating on a custom glass shop to redo it and get the goofey flip flop rear window mechanisms lined up.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X