Installing rings where to clock them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing rings where to clock them?

OK a question came up this weekend while file fitting and installing my rings. The instructions with the rings show how to clock the gaps away from each other when installing. But then the subject of where to place them on the piston in relation to the combustion chamber when the piston is in the cylinder. I have never heard of this and thought maybe I could get some car junkie feedback on it. Thanks for any input.

Re: Installing rings where to clock them?

Ive never heard of it.Dont know

Comment

Let's see if I can explain this without pictures. With the front of the piston facing your left (valve pockets away on odd, and vise versa). You go: oil expander gap directly away, each ring 45* on either side. Middle (or second) ring gap faces toward you, and Top ring gap faces away.
      That's for a SBC. It's the only thing I've ever put rings on. would seem they'd all be the same, but maybe not.

Comment

Don't rings spin on pistons? hmmm

Keith

Comment

That I'm not sure of. Those are just the instructions I read in a book once.

Edit: Now that I look Haynes says something similar, but different. Not sure it matters.

Comment

the only consistent instruction i have ever found is , dont line them up!
            different manufacturers call for different things, but after a few seconds of run time they will have moved anyway.

Comment

I put them away from the thrust surface.

And I don't think they "spin."

Comment

Chevy has a drawing in some of the old shop manuals...although I don't know how important it really is. The gap mostly closes up on the top ring as it gets warm...the other rings maybe not so much.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                  And I don't think they "spin."
                  You're right.... they rotate.

and to answer the question, I just don't line them up on the major & minor thrust in the bores, or each other.
                  There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

I'm with DF, I put them off the thrust surfaces, and pretty much like the manufacturer recommends as far as clocking in relation to each other.

Comment

Most of the ring manufacturers tell you to assemble the oil rings so that the rail gaps are about 1" on either side of the expander ring gap. One rail gap 1" to the right, the other rail gap 1" to the left.

I do like DF says on compression rings -- away from the thrust side with each compression ring gap about 90* apart.

I don't think that gap placement is really all that critical but that is how I do it.

Comment

well i don't know what this is worth, but on a fuel engine i always clock them at about 9:30 and 2:30. you can tell pretty easily if the engine had excess fuel cause the rings will always line up in the 6:00 position, and the piston will have scuff marks in that area too.
                        i know of a lot of guys with blown alcohol combinations that line the rings up under high boost situations also.
                        as far as where they clock them i don't really know,
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

That's pretty interesting.

Also, this probably has zero merit whatsoever, but if the piston has oil-ring rails (supports for when the pin is high in the piston), I don't let the oil-ring gaps land on the unsupported part of the rail near the pin.

Comment

THey all rotate on the piston as the engine is running, so it doesn't matter a whole bunch I think. As long as they are oriented with the ring gaps away from each other, they will stay that way as they all rotate as the same rate.

Comment

Hey Andy, non-thrust sides of the piston, and they do move, they should not stay lined up for long as they do move,unless you have a groove. The amount of leakage is very small from ring alignment and nothing to worry about, file them right and you will be ok if installed non-thrust at 90*
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                              X