Data Acquisition Systems: Good & Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Acquisition Systems: Good & Bad?

I'm entering into another new world of DAQ. I would like to hear your experience about set-up, Reliability, Software upgrades. The ease of hooking up (or powering) sensors. OEM warantee issues. Tech support. How fast should the sample rate be? What about EMF interference?

I realize different racing venues will have unique needs. But realistically, just how many channels do you need? I see systems from 5 to 32 channels?

It would be interesting to see the popularity of different brands.

My application will be Bonneville so I am very interested in salt corrosion. IOW, the quality of the harness and waterproofing.

Re: Data Acquisition Systems: Good & Bad?

RacePak Ultra Dash.

Everything you will need and can interface with some EFI's.

Comment

i believe in race pack also, it seems to be the standard. they have a tech support trailer thats well stocked, and it's easier to share info with other people too.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Was Racepak recently bought out by MSD or was that another brand?

If Racepak was bought; how will it affect the consumer?

Comment

Yes Race Pac was bought by MSD. However they are continuing to do work here is so. Orange County.

I also have a Quick Data unit from Edelbrock, so does Keith I think. Not a sophisticated as Race Pac but it cost less too. Software is very good, and uses K-type thermocouples so all in all a great unit.
          There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom
            I also have a Quick Data unit from Edelbrock, so does Keith I think. Not a sophisticated as Race Pac but it cost less too. Software is very good, and uses K-type thermocouples so all in all a great unit.
            Good info, Mike. I was considering Quick Data but wanted other opinions. And your EFI is? . . . ;D

Comment

Anyone messed around with building thier own with Labview and a USB 0-5V bus block?
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Great question CT. Doesn't LanView take about a 6 week course to just get a remedial understanding of it? What does LabView cost? Can you but modules or a "light" version to start?

Comment

I don't know, been a good while since I've used it but I know its much easier on the sensor interface than trying to run a MatLab code for something like that. Its not cheap I do know that but for something like this a student version wouldn't be bad unless you tried to sell the programs then it would be a Terms Of Use violation I'm sure.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I ran a Racepack on my street roadster . I found it very easy to use, it was not cheap but the price was offset by not buying gauges. Donny Cummins was my salesman he even gave us a hand out on the salt.

Comment

For a flat out Bonneville application what do you consider essential data? TPS is assumed to be 100% so should you waste a channel on that? Other than AFR; what are some interesting sensors that should be considered?

Comment

Can you have too much data?
                        Get all the inputs and add as you need.
                        Better to have and not need.
                        Also should you decide to sell it or the car and it, it still has options, bell whistles, etc...

I hate having 8 channels and 9 inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltfever
                          For a flat out Bonneville application what do you consider essential data? TPS is assumed to be 100% so should you waste a channel on that? Other than AFR; what are some interesting sensors that should be considered?
                          Fever if you've been to the salt or the dry lakes I'm sure you've heard guy's "peddling it". Yes you need TPS...
                          If you're a fast guy you might want to know your air scoop pressure or lack there of.
                          If you're a fairly fast guy you might want to record ride height. Linear potentiometer's work here.
                          If you're a really fast guy you want to know EVERYTHING you can, you never know what you'll learn.
                          There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Fever if you've been to the salt or the dry lakes I'm sure you've heard guy's "peddling it". Yes you need TPS...
                            If you're a fast guy you might want to know your air scoop pressure or lack there of.
                            If you're a fairly fast guy you might want to record ride height. Linear potentiometer's work here.
                            If you're a really fast guy you want to know EVERYTHING you can, you never know what you'll learn.
                            I didn't want anybody looking over my shoulder seeing the "peddle" part of the graph.;D I am looking for something to tell me the cars reaction to the chute deployment. I was going to attach it at CG height and then test. Is that a good plan? I have been looking for some very low pressure sensors (0-1 or 2 psi) but have not found anything under $200. A brand or a source would be welcome. Do you use air bags on your car, Mike?

I'll be off-list till Saturday. "Thank you" to everyone that has been helping me.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltfever
                              I didn't want anybody looking over my shoulder seeing the "peddle" part of the graph.;D I am looking for something to tell me the cars reaction to the chute deployment. I was going to attach it at CG height and then test. Is that a good plan? I have been looking for some very low pressure sensors (0-1 or 2 psi) but have not found anything under $200. A brand or a source would be welcome. Do you use air bags on your car, Mike?

I'll be off-list till Saturday. "Thank you" to everyone that has been helping me.
                              If you'd built yourself a megasquirt by now, you'd know where to find real good pressure sensors for a few bucks apiece ;)

same ones used in the GM map sensors. Motorola makes them. Got a Digikey catalog?

-scott
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X