No announcement yet.

adjusting 4 corner idle on #4779-9 holley 750dp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already see one difference the 4779-0 came with 75 main jets on the primaries and the 4779-9 came with 71's. Also the -0 came with an 8.5 power valve where the -9 came with a 6.5. Just fallow my link above there are all sorts of differences between those carbs.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Check to see if you didn't blow the big rear vacuum cap off. Would cause most of your problems. So would a stuck float.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

well curiosity got the better of me so i opened the carb up ,removed both float bowls and removed the metering plates . What i found i couldn't believe it , found both PV's blown and very loose not tightened onto the metering block and this was a brand new carb from Holley . I never noticed any backfire or spit back while i was trying to tune it and this carb also had the PV blowout protection set up so not sure how the PV's blew out

The carb is now off my motor and air drying the fuel smell out so i can return it to Summit tomorrow and awaiting the new carb they're sending me ,hopefully i can have better luck with it
        "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

This is what was sitting on top of the reman 650 I just ordered from Holley E-bay

Carb smells like turpentine. I haven't bothered trying to install it yet but I have a feeling it'll be going back too.

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
            This is what was sitting on top of the reman 650 I just ordered from Holley E-bay

Carb smells like turpentine. I haven't bothered trying to install it yet but I have a feeling it'll be going back too.

that's not good !!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post

that's not good !!!
              I called Holley today. They said the lid thing is perfectly normal and what I'm smelling is mineral spirits. I told them it smells mighty strong for mineral spirits, they said that's because the carb has balls, big hairy ones at that. How do you argue with a company named Holley? You don't, bitches know balls when they see them. I'm running it.
              Last edited by Casper; March 31, 2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

well, mineral spirits and turpentine have more oil and evaporate slower than solvents. maybe its in there to keep the old seals from drying up.

Comment

Maybe I missed it .... why the new 750 if the old 750 was working perfectly?
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                    Maybe I missed it .... why the new 750 if the old 750 was working perfectly?
                    was having alot of issues with the old 750dp primary accel pump not working and it wasn't the diaphragm but the piston under the squirter getting stuck all the time . also the throttle shafts were getting worn out and with the 4779-0 older design which was like the #6109 which resembled the 660 center squirter linkage . That base plate is no longer made so with those two issues that is the reason for the new carb

here's the old 4779-0 with the #6109 linkage set up ..

Comment

Looking at the picture, I think your problem with the primary accelerator pump is the missing arm. Where is it? You could've gotten a new diaphram for it. Hell, for $60, you can get a whole accelerator adjustment kit.

I have the same old ass 4779 on my engine. Paid a whole $20 for it. Still works great.

Last edited by Scott Liggett; April 1, 2014, 04:51 PM.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Looking at the picture, I think your problem with the primary accelerator pump is the missing arm. Where is it? You could've gotten a new diaphram for it. Hell, for $60, you can get a whole accelerator adjustment kit.

I have the same old ass 4779 on my engine. Paid a whole $20 for it. Still works great.

that's the only pic i had of that side of the carb showing the weird #6109 linkage set up and in this pic i didn't have the right float bowls either as when i got the carb it was main body only .in that pic that is the secondary float bowl on the primary side ,was just trying to show a somewhat complete carb for the linkage . In the pic there wasn't even any gaskets on the carb at all jut a static display purpose only

Comment

Working...
                        X