fuel pump + carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump + carb

I am headed for a fourth fuel pump, its like a richter scale getting ten times bigger for every change...

my posts exceed english language beyond two syllables, so I'll narrow it down to this..

big fuel pump for carb..how big can one go?

I am currently eyeballing an 8psi, 72gph. I have a good indication this could do the 14psi (full return system in action)
    the history:
    1-3 psi, controller slowed it to one after running
    3 to 5 psi
    5 to 9 psi (now failing)
    8 psi, 72gph... I'd like to call it a "famous carter".

I have not purchased yet, holding off for some advice.... thanks.

soome technical notes.
    4 cylinder boxer, 10.2 to 1
    the cams are beyond 260 duration, I do get the gt class wah wahs if not perfectly tuned.
    the other difficulty is its only 1781cc, stoich is whistling tight as drum at slow speed.. like it needs a huge crammer pressure.
    not sure where this will level off nice, need a guru.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 31, 2014, 07:10 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

ok think I got it right.
    just had to find another hot rod forum that talks.

the v8 built slightly likes the 140gph, 14psi.
    so..chop it in half , and it is the pump for the little four banger slightly built.
    72gph, 6-8 psi.

good to approach as minimalist. Just want to be sure this time.

the odd trait with one barrel, it gains fuel as it goes, four barrels lose. kinda funny isn't it...~~pro·por·tion·ate·ly they need the same.
    Previously boxer3main

Comment

a pump that is capable of 120-140gph is perfect for a street/strip set up and also good up to about 500hp
      "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post
        a pump that is capable of 120-140gph is perfect for a street/strip set up and also good up to about 500hp

I see the same stuff written everywhere and ending up with a pile of babble.

I have since changed my mind, and going for the 14psi at 140gph.. the summit version, comes with regulator.

it is not about hp, it is about cam timing, engine design, and resolution needed.

the short 2.62 inch strokers at 90hp need the same as the worlds craziest big block.

I lived it.

I had to think back to the pump I took for granted, never thought once about ..the 14psi was it.

crazy ass world of fuel pumps, they do not define enough, it is life and death.

I ponder anything with a dead head design is for less than 14psi as well. I am working with the mixed up 1980s, fuel injection tank, full fuel return. Needs the big pumps.

long story short. The two numbers, gph and psi
        gph on a big block needs to be big, because it gobbles it all up. On a very short stroke, a big gph is called resolution, so it does not skip over the fast timing needed to gain fuel.

fluid dynamics I presume..a fine line down the middle. Big blocks lose it like a tiny fast short stroke, for different reasons.

the psi is only half of it. A full return can theoretically do anything out there, 50hp to 5000. ..just need regulator.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 1, 2014, 12:31 AM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

I see the same stuff written everywhere and ending up with a pile of babble.

I have since changed my mind, and going for the 14psi at 140gph.. the summit version, comes with regulator.

it is not about hp, it is about cam timing, engine design, and resolution needed.

the short 2.62 inch strokers at 90hp need the same as the worlds craziest big block.

I lived it.

I had to think back to the pump I took for granted, never thought once about ..the 14psi was it.

crazy ass world of fuel pumps, they do not define enough, it is life and death.

I ponder anything with a dead head design is for less than 14psi as well. I am working with the mixed up 1980s, fuel injection tank, full fuel return. Needs the big pumps.

i've always have had luck with either the Holley Blue or the Carter Gold electric fuel pumps ,both were 14psi unregulated . now i know this won't help you much as it is a different application but i'm running currently a Carter mech strip pump which is 120gph and unregulated at 10psi .with using a holley regulator and on my sbc i was able to keep fed up to 6500rpm (2) holley 660 center squirters and fuel press to ea carb was 7psi !!!!

Comment

i'm running a deadhead set up using an older style Holley regulator and the fuel press stays steady at 7psi all the way from idle up past 6500rpm and no press drop at all noticed . This is with my mech Carter Strip pump that is 120gph and unregulated at 10psi

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
              ok think I got it right.
              just had to find another hot rod forum that talks.

the v8 built slightly likes the 140gph, 14psi.
              so..chop it in half , and it is the pump for the little four banger slightly built.
              72gph, 6-8 psi.

good to approach as minimalist. Just want to be sure this time.

the odd trait with one barrel, it gains fuel as it goes, four barrels lose. kinda funny isn't it...~~pro·por·tion·ate·ly they need the same.
              wow. No answer in 20 minutes so you're off to some chat room somewhere else?

TBI Camaro pump will more than feed the boxer, is about 10 psi out of the box, and needs to be regulated down to probably no more than 4-5psi unless you want to push it past the float in your Rochester. They are external and pretty cheap, like 30.00 cheap. You can get mounting brackets and fittings from an old F150 EFI truck for next to nothing.
              Last edited by Beagle; April 1, 2014, 04:49 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I think for the boxer power you should look into the Aeromotive A1000
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

wow. No answer in 20 minutes so you're off to some chat room somewhere else?

TBI Camaro pump will more than feed the boxer, is about 10 psi out of the box, and needs to be regulated down to probably no more than 4-5psi unless you want to push it past the float in your Rochester. They are external and pretty cheap, like 30.00 cheap. You can get mounting brackets and fittings from an old F150 EFI truck for next to nothing.
                  yes thats the sizing, the TBI, or singular injections.
                  10-12-14psi

I should have done that from day one. the engine is the big first year injection cams. they utilized the cold pressured shot to conquer overlap (still idles very nice as a result).

the other odd thing, boxer related..those engines have a "up" side run, and an all "down". Rheostats like a potentiometer...the air/fuel feel and fire. The down is the dump, gains fuel..the "up" run needs a large pump...that means slow speed needs giant pump. A bit backwards to comprehend.

the rochester makes this childs play, plenty big enough, nice control. I have a fast acting AFR guage telling me every move.

A 5 to 9 right out of the box, it is impressive for a short time..even the idle mix whistles...but then fades right away within days or hours and loses. I now know it needs more than a half thumper solenoid.

the other memory that kicked in was a destroked mustang...same scenario. Needed big pump to feed slow speed.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 1, 2014, 10:27 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                  X