Cruising rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruising rpms

Okay guys, looking for some real world feedback. Got a 460 ford .030 over Older style aluminum CJ heads with 2.19/1.76 valves 9.5:1 compression 224/234 duration at .050 .569 lift at .050 Performer rpm with Holley street avenger A "towing" converter, (Long story). I recently swapped in a 3.50 trac loc in place of a 2.75 open. LOVE the increased responsiveness and around town fun. The downside is the hwy rpms are slightly higher than I calculated. It's close to 3000 rpms at 70 mph. The tires are 29". At those rpms, it's pretty loud, though the engine seems happy. Question is this, other than probably a big increase in fuel consumption at 3k vs 2200 rpms, should this engine be okay cruising at 2600-2700 rpms for 5-6 hours a day? (Power tour) Thanks, James

Mine is slightly different 533 260/264 @ .050 and it LOVES cruising at 2,800 - 3,000rpm - its been on 7 PowerTours

Comment

tight cam..that convertor must slip some
      I'd go right back to even taller gears.

I have 90hp 4 cyls and 3000 pounds doing 3k for 70mph.

you are not gaining anything but noise and wear.

maybe find a bigger cam, make it match up that way. Power tours are for showing off anyway.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

when i had 4.10's and my T/ram on my sbc i was turning about 3500rpm at 55 mph and wasn't fun on the fwy as i felt like i was going to be run over but let off the loud pedal for a second then bury it i would feel the rear of the Camaro get loose as the tires had a hard time with grip LOL!!!

I also had a 47 CJ2A jeep with a warmed over 400sbc and the axles had 5.38's and with even 33" tires i was still turning 3500 rpm . This made for a fun trip on the highway with my (2) 10 gal fuel tanks and manual fuel tank switch valve . trying to switch tanks at 3500rpm without running the bowls dry in the carb was alot of fun !!
        "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X