Monroe Quick Strut issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monroe Quick Strut issues???

Has anyone ever had any experience with Monroe Quick Struts?

My HHR has bumped in the front end when the weather's cold since we had it. The clowns at the local dealership couldn't get the car to make the noise. It was more of a nuisance than anything. However, in the last few months the noise started happening all the time. About the same time I noticed that the tread on the tires seemed to be trying to separate! I only got about 25k on the BFG tires I was running,but they had performed really great except for the tread issue. They rode good,handled good,and they were quiet.

I bought new Monroe Quick-Struts,new Moog sway bar links,and new GM sway bar bushings. I also bought 4 new Yokohama Avid Ascend tires because they were very highly reviewed on just about every site I looked at,and they were very reasonable.

I installed the suspension stuff on a Saturday a few weeks back. I got a late start so I didn't finish up until kinda late. I didn't drive the car until the next day. All the bumping was gone,and the car rode great. Very,very,very smooth and comfortable with no creaks or bumps. The next Friday I took the car and had my Yokohama tires put on. They were fabulous. They rode as good or maybe even better than the BFG tires,and they were quiet. I had 400 bucks total (install and everything) in s set of 80k mile warranty tires. H speed rated too!

We drove around about 50 miles that weekend,and then my wife took it on a 150 mile round trip to her board meeting the following Tuesday. I couldn't believe how well this project had turned out. All was well until I came back from lunch the next day. There was a very noticeable decline in the ride quality even from going to work that morning. This car is beating me to death now. I can feel EVERY bump in the road. I'm hearing bumping noises more than I did when I first put the tires on

I went back and retorqued everything a week or so ago,but everything was still tight. The spindle bolts were a little loose,but not much.

I just wonder if the struts are trying to take a crap already,or there is a tire issue. Or could it be both?? I had the front end aligned Friday,and I asked the guy to check the struts. He said they were ok.

I drive the same roads every day,and everywhere I've been on these new tires is someplace I've been on the tires I've had previously. The ride is killing me now. These tires were given nearly a 9 out 10 on the comfort level overall ,but I've seen a few reviews that mentioned a harsh ride.

Ideas??
    Last edited by Karberator; May 4, 2014, 10:54 PM.
    sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Sounds like the struts to me. I've had nothing but issues lately with Monroe stuff in work, i just don't know what is going on with there quality anymore.
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

just got 500.00 worth of quick struts for the monte carlo, they had a 125.00 rebate. I guess I can expect issues.

Comment

I wonder if the strut rod nuts might be loose? I read about several instances of them being loose from the factory. I would have to rent that special socket the job requires.

I took the car out for a pretty long drive on the interstate for the first time Friday. There's a particularly rough section of road that I've driven on many times in different vehicles. I thought the right front was going to bounce right out from under the car. It has never been that bad in any car of mine before. Most of the time it's a stiff ride and unforgiving ride issue.
        sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

There are a bazillion shocks and struts out there better than Monroe. I personally like KYB and Bilstein.
          The Green Machine.
          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

lower a arm bushing,, there is a service bulleten on it..

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
              There are a bazillion shocks and struts out there better than Monroe. I personally like KYB and Bilstein.

Yes,but I don't want to autocross.! Those are known for a stiff ride,or I would think that they would ride a little rough. I wouldn't think that the Monroes would ride rough,but evidently they do.

Something is not right because the ride just keeps on getting rougher and rougher,or so it seems.

NERF,I'm definitely looking into the TSB when I have my recall work done.

My wife says she can't tell any difference. It's amazing to me how women can be so observant about some things,and totally clueless about other obvious things like this issue. I hate to say it,but most of them just jump in,crank it,and go.
              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

I just want to add one more thing about these struts. I would get mad if someone from some other state said this but....

These Monroe struts were made in Paragould,Arkansas. That might be part of the problem.
                sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post
                  I wonder if the strut rod nuts might be loose? I read about several instances of them being loose from the factory. I would have to rent that special socket the job requires.

I took the car out for a pretty long drive on the interstate for the first time Friday. There's a particularly rough section of road that I've driven on many times in different vehicles. I thought the right front was going to bounce right out from under the car. It has never been that bad in any car of mine before. Most of the time it's a stiff ride and unforgiving ride issue.
                  very common..
                  where the strut bolts up with rubber bushings inbetween.
                  those will be softer than an H tire for sure...heck even a T rated tire can do those in.
                  I maxxed those out on a subaru over and over..add a spacer to squash the rubber again.

the other one is the washers themselves, they can cave..that also just needs a spacer.

the last crap thing to happen, after those bushings.. a balanced tire can act like it isn't..maybe even on the other side of the car...all to one or two struts.

tricky stuff.

I also run yokohama AVID, I love them. I revolve the strut needs around them...well worth it.

I've actually got some spring compressors coming in the mail, I mess with this stuff quite often.
                  for gm, the strut stuff is good to go, that is why I mention just the bushings..

in contrast a subaru with ten gears and 13 inch wheels in the beginning has been trial and error for 8 years, twice a year sometimes. Simply 15 inch yokohama...heavy rally wheels.

I have toyota truck struts in tha back, heading for rancho something bajas..just to go down the road.

gm stuff should be good...not have to think about it.

I do not know an eror that I have not had, including bending the rod, creating cambers..its been fun
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 9, 2014, 12:50 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have thought of a tire being out of balance too. I really,really,really, want to like the Yokos. They were an absolute steal,and they have such a good reputation.

I just got back from a drive,and there's now a noise like the spring is binding from turn to turn. It's definitely the driver's side too. When the rain lets up I'm going to look at it closer.
                    sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post
                      I have thought of a tire being out of balance too. I really,really,really, want to like the Yokos. They were an absolute steal,and they have such a good reputation.

I just got back from a drive,and there's now a noise like the spring is binding from turn to turn. It's definitely the driver's side too. When the rain lets up I'm going to look at it closer.
                      binding is a noise my own is making now..
                      I found a lock washer took a flying hike, and that is the space making noise.

it could be that simple for you vehicle.
                      It is the first for me to have a lock washer as part of it, not sure why they even shipped one. I'll go right back to the old way.

anyway, I'll be squashing it right down soon enough, impact wrench this time, won't need that silly tool for the top.

the yokos at just a T rating are so hard, I need 15 miles in May to know they are ready to go.

good stuff, I knew to stay patient.

I sail at 90 all the time here (maine has the fastest highway east of louisiana by law).. I am about 3/4 a mile from it.
                      need to stay precise.

hope the stut stuff for you is a simple problem.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I finally got enough of the binding noises and somewhat harsh ride and called Monroe today. They're going to warranty my struts. I am SO looking forward to replacing them again though.

I'm going to have the tires checked for being out of balance and out-of-round too.
                        sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

I used these on my buick regal. The springs have now sagged enough that the car sits lower. I didnt want it to though. Its a dd and now a pain in the ass to get a jack under the front. Use your old springs and just buy some struts if you are contemplating buying these.

Comment

Working...
                          X