hoodscoop open or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoodscoop open or no

anybody run a hoodscoop open all year, temperate climate?

just curious.

~~edit/update:
    a ride this evening and revealed how imprtant those two little holes are.. I did have some kinda lock going. Air locker or something. Subaru oem was much worse, I even have the original hood that blew its own edge off. This is interesting to learn. I was just doing it to try it out...an intuition.

its like the little hole in all thermostats.. except this one is for air and the thermostat at the same time. Alot of pressure under there. Warmed up quicker, no hitching. Smelled the new wires for a split second. I also noticed the back end is much tamer. I wonder if the engine fan is now pumping way out to the back more...

bizarre little thing going on.

I did get some hints over the years. The first 8500rpm screaming lunatic subaru was this one after the hood edge split open...

I ponder to this day, every external gadget on a wrx was meant for the GL with an ea82 engine. The four valves are going to pump the diarhea no matter how pig tight they make it. The ea82 cannot.
    I guess I'll stop at the 1/8th pinholes.

freaky outcome.. I just knew something huge was going on, very tight hoodscoop.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 11, 2014, 06:36 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Barry, Ive got a GTS hood on my Dakota and its open all year long... Then again, I live in San Diego. I did design it so that it rejects the water before it dumps it into the throttle body when its raining, and I have driven through some heavy downpours. I do carry a plug around in the back of the truck just in case the weather is looking really bad.
    Attached Files
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

thank you for reply, I did end up drilling a 2 inch by 3/4 inch total vent..
      extreme static pressure, engine could not even advance proper.

quite a surprise.. I have never encountered a need for hhod scoop. then again it is an 80s subaru.. nothing was right.
      this same buggy needed stage 1 clutch just to go down the road, not even a racer.

I'll be staying it open all year.. water will disappear in the "horsepressures."

I even gained a damn heater. Unreal.. literally. Never encountered anything this ever.

like an upside down glas sin water, the more one wants to rise up, the toughter it gets.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

I plug my cowl scoop with foam during the cold months.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
          I plug my cowl scoop with foam during the cold months.
          that is an idea. I just this second was looking at two puffballs of squashy seat like foam. Bizarre.

will put them in a quiet pile someplace.

may not need it, I stayed very small opening..
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
          X