Junkyard disc brake swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junkyard disc brake swap...

I have a 70 chevelle sitting in my shop. It belongs to a buddy of mine who constantly complains about the braking. And probably for good reason. It has manual drums all the way around the car. What are some vehicles that we could get the parts we need to swap them to disc? Both options. Manual disc and or power. Thanks for the help.

He's right about those brakes sucking but even the factory front discs are not that great...but it will be better.

Not much to be found in junkyards anymore. For a bolt-in install only up-to '72 A-body (including Cutlass, Skylark etc.) or '69-74 F-body (the original Chevelle steering arms get retained) will fit, they are getting rare and will likely be in poor condition. There's plenty of shops selling new kits with everything you'd need though and they may be able to set you up with a manual master whereas I've never come across any originally that way, they're all vac boosted.

See for example: http://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1970/br...rakes/M1790DX/

Comment

Thanks for that link. Being able to keep the rallies and have good braking would be great. And the price isn't bad. Budget friendly is always a good thing.

Comment

I pulled all my stuff off a Monte Carlo ... '71 I think.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

just look around the internet, the conversion kits are not that expensive and you get all new parts. They now have them with slotted rotors for what I paid for my kit 4 years ago. Saw them at heartbeat city. If you look on ebay all the parts are pretty much coming from the same place.

Comment

Working...
          X