Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling

After siting in traffic during a 108 degree afternoon in a big block Plymouth I noticed the temps creeping up to the 200 degree range. They quickly dropped down to the standard 190 it usually operates at.

It is a 70/30 mix of water coolant (70% water by by calculations) I also added water wetter which did seem to drop the temps a little.

I do not have a shroud and it is a flex fan

what I would like to know is...If anyone has had any positive experience with this type of shroud. Will it be effective or a waste of money.

Also, I would like to know if the parasitic drag from the flex fan is enough of a drain to warrant considering getting a electric fan/fans?

Will they cool enough?

All input is welcome,

Thanks

joe
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Mid 60's GM's had that kind of shroud.. Prevents "thrown air" .. I would guess that is better than no shroud.. The newer plastic types cover the whole radiator to force air from every square inch of cooling fin... I've run the SS flex fans on my flatbed.. I also run the radiator out of a 500ci Caddy.. And a full shroud..... Drawing from my small radiator, big motor experience in derbys, you need the water to stay in the rad long enough to cool, you don't want to add more hot water to the cooling mixture.. If tou want a fan, use a Taurus electric fan, it has flaps that open at highway speeds, otherwise the air goes thru the shroud.. It is also reverseable (works for our purpose ) always nice when the rad holds more than the motor.. I'm not allowed to use coolant/anti-freeze in derbys but do use water wetter and makes a hell of a difference.. You could probably, with your mixture, go to 240 without boiling out.. If your cap can handle it.. The kid's 65 Skylark with the 455 creeps up during cruise nights and has to hit side streets and by 1-2 blocks it drops down..... Your area is unquie so my "fixes" might not work for you... Jim probably best knows how to do it, as he runs boosted big blocks down there...

Comment

Also it has been drummed into me that flex fans tend to flatten while at rpms pulling a load on a long hill... I never had that problem...

Comment

I'd think that shroud would help enough for what you need Joe. That said, I've cured overheating creep issues by going solid fan........kind of equivalent to putting down a hammer to use a rock though. If you decide to go electric, the HHR uses a neat fan/shroud combo that fits our older stuff nicely. It's slim and adapts to mounting several ways. BBR has one in his mustang. I have one in mine and talked a friend into trying one in his '70 camaro. Current draw is important to keep in mind. If you use a temp sensor to control a relay the current draw is much easier to manage than if it is just wired up to ignition hot, running all the time.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

A little shroud like that might help a little, but not a bunch. You need something that will make it so the fan pulls air thru the whole radiator. I forget what your fan looks like...how about a quick picture of the fan/back of radiator/engine bay? just to refresh our memory
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

we've had good luck with this setup... still testing fan controls though
            .speedwaymotors.com/Dual-12-Inwwwch-Fan-Shroud-Combo-28-W-x-17-H,17127.html Dual 12 Inch Fan Shroud Combo, 28 W x 17 H

Item # 9174004

$259.99 Quantity:

Last edited by silver_bullet; June 1, 2014, 12:49 PM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thermal Fan Clutch. You will thank me later.
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Here is the current set up, that Radiator is huge and should be more than enough to cool the motor but....I don't think there is enough air moving at idle to keep it cool in heavy stop and go traffic which is what 99% of Tucson is. If I am out on the open road, its cool as a cucumber, and when the temps aren't 100+ it is fine. There are shrouds to be had for the car. With the offset for the fan but they are pricey and if an electric setup would free up a little power and cool better it seems a better investment.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I think even a rudimentary shroud will go a loooooong way there.

My Firebird is in the same boat. Cools like a champ as long as I'm moving, but five minutes or so and its creeping up to 200+*F at a stand still. I installed a dinky electric fan (14"?) on it and it slows down the creep, but doesn't seem to be enough air flow. When I start moving again, even at 25mph, the temps drop like a rock. I'm indecisive on what to do with it at the moment.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    I think even a rudimentary shroud will go a loooooong way there.

My Firebird is in the same boat. Cools like a champ as long as I'm moving, but five minutes or so and its creeping up to 200+*F at a stand still. I installed a dinky electric fan (14"?) on it and it slows down the creep, but doesn't seem to be enough air flow. When I start moving again, even at 25mph, the temps drop like a rock. I'm indecisive on what to do with it at the moment.

That's exactly what mine does. I was thinking what if I got two of those shrouds and placed one on top and one on the bottom.....if I go this route I'll let you know how it works...

Maybe a combo of the half shroud and this...
                    Last edited by JOES66FURY; June 1, 2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

that is the reason why i tend to go electric..it takes the weight off of the water pump, and an override switch is easy to rig in for putting one's mind at ease...we like to rig one fan to the thermostat and the other to the A/C control. we are thinking of trying one of the variable speed fan controllers to reduce the electrical load when not needed and maintain better control...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'd be all over a good electric set up...but the cost is off putting...I'd I could find one used .

Comment

Have you checked the u pull it yards for a used oem shroud? Might be hard to find...but it also might be metal, and would be the way to go. I'd probably try a thermal clutch fan, and get or make a real shroud if that doesn't do it.

But what do I know...I live in AZ and drive stuff with big blocks...
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm with squirrel/ Jim.
                            A good fitting shroud, and the plastic flex-a-lite fan - and temps will never be an issue (provided everything else is up to par).
                            If the parasitic drag of a flex fan bothers you, a [s]flex fan[/s] fan clutch only "locks up" when the temps get hot - and will work with your "good fitting shroud" you already bought or made.

If you are only having mild issues with temps when the outside temp is 108 - a good fitting shroud will solve your problems.

Also, electric fans use electricity, which requires the alternator supply more electricity, which adds parasitic drag.
                            Last edited by yellomalibu; June 30, 2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Look at your blades on your current fan.. They aren't very angular.. Find one like that flex fan you pictured.. There are aluminum hubs made to mount those on the pump, we have 2.. Those types of blades move LOTS of air.. And break apart instead of ruining something like a hose..

Comment

Working...
                              X