one 1 alternator not working???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one 1 alternator not working???

So my 1-wire alternator doesnt look like its working after my fresh rebuild. I took it to the shop and they said its working fine (90 amps and 14.9 volts). I know it has to spin up to 1500 RPM or so to activate and I reved up to 3000...still nothing. The shop said that the alternator requires a constant 12 volts from the battery to the rear of the alternator for it to activate...no issues there either. So, I am thinking I have a grounding issue. I know the 1-wire units are grounded through the alternator body. I am using a powder coated motor plate so perhaps the alternator isnt getting a good ground to the motor and chassis? Thoughts?

Seems like it would be pretty easy to run a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to the alternator to find out.

Comment

Yes, we have had issues with voltage drop causing issues... turns out that the voltage reference is dependent on a solid ground, so, try making up a good ground jumper to confirm...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I always ground from the block to chassis and chassis to body. Maybe an additional ground from body to block would be redundant, but most electrical problems are caused by bad grounds. Cheap insurance.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
        X