87 T/A Seatbelt light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 T/A Seatbelt light

I have a seat belt light that has a mind of It's own. Goes from off to dim to glowing. In all different combinations. Since I were seat belts to go to the mail box I really don't need this reminder. And ideas how to make it stop without taking the dash apart ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

I believe there is a switch in the seat belt itself and possibly a pressure switch in the seat. Not sure on this era of cars.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Like Scott says.. Electricals to the buckles.. But I kinda doubt it is there tho.. If it is, find the wires and put something in the 2 prongs and see if that does the job.. Probably in the dash.. Might be able to "pull the fuse".. Or the buzzer .. They'd be on the same circuit..

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        I believe there is a switch in the seat belt itself and possibly a pressure switch in the seat. Not sure on this era of cars.
        The passenger seat. Mom used to set hers off in the Vega when she would throw her purse over there. There is probably a two pin connector / pigtail coming out the bottom middle of the seat that can be disconnected. I pulled the ones on the Vega at Dad's instruction, having hands and arms small enough at the time (10 y.o.) to get between the seat and floorboard.
        Last edited by Beagle; June 4, 2014, 05:49 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

So basically, if I cut the wires it should be over with . If I cut the wires strip the ends and twist together........I should have a permanent seat belt light.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

that is what I would expect, but four nuts are all it takes to flip that chair over and it's probably got a plastic connector

Comment

found a picture of what it looked like back when... I'd look for a 2 prong connector if they are power seats and have a bunch of wires.

Comment

I believe on that, the seatbelt warning is triggered by a simple switch at the seat so you could pull the plug and twist the wires to disable it... But the indicator light comes out of the buzzer module which may be affected by the dash lights dimmer dial, i.e. you can turn the buzzer off using that dial so that the car can sit not running with the headlights on without the buzzer blasting away all the time. I would see if changing the dash light dimmer setting makes any difference with the seatbelt light functioning, if it doesn't I'm probably on the wrong track then. In any event you could pull the light bulb.

Comment

Thanks guys. Is give it s try today but I'm helping a friend with the exhaust on a little Cherokee. Then off to Wilmington , Ohio for Land Speed Raced
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

On the drive home I checked the inside dimmer wheel, didn't seem to make any difference. I'll try the wires under.the seat Monday.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                    X