Fuel boiling a little in carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel boiling a little in carb

On my 73 Monte its a stock 454 with a qjet and cast iron manifold. I dont have the EGR hooked up,should I ? Will it help this problem? It runs and starts good when its cold but when its warm it is a little hard to start and runs kinda rough and stinks up the garage with a fuel smell when its in for the night. I can hear the fuel bubbling slightly in the carb and see a little vapor coming out after I drive it . What else can I do to remedy this ? Ive already got a heat sheild under the carb that is shaped like the gasket.

Thick gasket? .. Might as well hook up EGR.. I know on a Datsun pickup it made a world of difference.. Q-jets need a dab of JBWeld on the bottom to keep fuel from dribbling out.. Others may have a different method..

Comment

Are you fuel lines getting hot from the exhaust? The fuel could be getting cooked before it gets to the carb. I think your car has a fuel return line as well. Are you still using it?

If you don't need to emissions test the car, pull the intake and put block off plates to block the exhaust cross over in the intake. Or better yet, get an Edelbrock intake and block them off as well.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yup I have the JB weld on the well plugs. No problem there.Fuel return line is hooked up. I was thinking about the same with the intake block off plates but that damn intake is heavy its a job to get it off. Im going to hook up the EGR. It goes to a ported vacuum source,correct?

Comment

No EGR..
          in fact it may be too infected to even pretend normal runtime.

boiling fuel on egr engine..
          any vac booster leaks at the brake master cylinder?

chrome trim still on the bottom?
          if not, maybe put it back on.

these mysteries are my 'joy'..

alloy wheels do an old steelie good.
          alot of things to do.

check engine grounds etc.

a big win...take the damn deadhead design out of the fuel system.
          the fairy tale depression excuses died a long time ago here.

just today, the first 80s F..
          the smell of ice fog out of nowhere approaching a redlight, a brake pedal almost to the floor and a 9AFR for 5 whole seconds rocking like a big cam..
          all of a sudden full brake, back to normal.
          first season on 12psi fuel..found a monster heading to solstice.

summer solstice, you could park it until that goes by. The fuel crunch engines are that crazy.

I too still run an engine that had EGR a long time ago.

maybe change a cam to better timing, ghosts will still linger....but it is guts correct where it matters.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 8, 2014, 07:36 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I can't remember if it's ported or manifold vacuum for the EGR.

Check how hot the fuel line is getting.

Yes, I do know how heavy a iron 454 intake is. I dragged mine here for some stupid, unknown reason.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

"Yes, I do know how heavy a iron 454 intake is. I dragged mine here for some stupid, unknown reason."
              And you know how it is to work on that car. You have to lean over the fenders and reach down,its kinda tough"

Comment

Hooking the EGR up won't change the fuel boiling issue. The EGR, if hooked up, should always be hooked up to ported vacuum. 99% of the EGR is purely emissions related to drop NOx, there is a slight chance of fuel mileage gains, slight chance.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I had to add a 1" plastic spacer to cure my boiling-after-shutdown issues. Very annoying problem to have, but easily cured if you have the room to raise the carb. The metal gasket/heat shield thingy didn't do much for me, had to go full-tilt isolation. And that problem was on both the cast iron intake and an aluminum Edelbrock.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                  X