Tubs, or mini-tubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubs, or mini-tubs?

Well, I'm working on Earl's bed, and decided while it's in so many pieces, this would be a good time to tub it. For future possibilities, of course, The question is: how much? Should I just mini-tub it with 3 inches or so? That will clear the 255-75-15s by about that much (they rub slightly in slow cornering)......or should I go full bore and use the complete S-10 wheel houses I have, which settle in at about 6.5 inches?? That's a ton more than I need. I really don't plan to put 16" drag radials on it, but.............

I've got one tacked in at 6.5", but I'm leaning towards the 3 to 4".........whatcha think?

Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 11, 2014, 08:16 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Can you keep it subtle/factory looking with the wide tubs?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

too late now, you cut the hole too big...but I'd probably want to use something more era correct, like these

Inner wheel well on fleetside bed. Not original for 55-66, but will work with modifications. (*No free shipping on this item)

and only add as much as it needs to clear the tires.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hard to say without seeing a "before" picture - but I'm with Jim - only make it as wide as it needs to be plus a little insurance.... and make it look like it was supposed to be there.

What you've done so far looks pretty good to me.... I couldn't tell my looking at it that those were S10 tubs in an old truck.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I doubt you haul much with Earl... I'd do it for the biggest tire I might run.. Key word "might".. Dunno how a step side looks with sleek side wheel houses.. I remember a buddy who had big tires on his 55 and had a heck of a time getting them not to rub.. So I get why you want to tub/mini tub it.. If you think you wana run monsters back there, you know what you need to do..

Comment

Are you going all the way to the frame rails?? is it leaf springs.. are you bringing the springs inside the rails? Me, because I'm spoiled with a dad that's a great body man, would add 2.5" to the step side outer fenders and mini tub the inners, this way the springs are not so far inboard that leverage is lost on body roll. Your truck had a big rake? is that because of the wheel houses? can't drop anymore.. if so.. now might be the time to raise the tubs. to get the back down some.. so the big tires can do something other than spin.. I like a rake but iirc yours had more than most..
            good luck with whatever you decide..
            Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 12, 2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              too late now, you cut the hole too big...but I'd probably want to use something more era correct, like these

http://www.classicparts.com/1960-66-.../#.U5nA8yhA7hQ

and only add as much as it needs to clear the tires.
              Just raise the tub a little looks like there is room..That will tighten it up if you want push them in a little... I tub mine last year around 5" running 315x60x15 MT DR looks good with them
              Last edited by quick 52; June 12, 2014, 12:46 PM.
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

This is why I asked you guys.....all good info. Jim, I didn't even consider CPA, but I'm not sure those will be high enough.......the tires are 30" tall. I could always weld the panel back in, I guess.
                Earl does have quite a bit of rake, and the 255-75-15s are 10.5" wide. The 3 to 4" tub would give me enough room, with a little extra. Here's Earl, under way......

And a rear view:

As you can see, the tires pretty well fill the fender already.
                I think we all pretty much agree that will be plenty. I just need to cut the spot welds and slide the wheelhouses outboard to get that dimension.
                Thanks a ton, guys.

BTW Mark, the frame rails are about 6" inside the bed sides. As it sits now, the S-10 wheelhouses would go to the rails, but I really don't think that is necessary. It still has the stock parallel leafs, but flipped to the bottom of the axle. Also has trac bars. I have the truck parked at a neighbor's garage, so I need to go check the tire to spring clearance. That will determine if bigger tires would work, but I'm thinking they might not. Seems to me there is about 2" in there, but it could be less. This is looking more and more like minis is the way to go.Thx.
                DB, ole Earl does haul some stuff on occasion......people for parades and stuff........he is quite famous, you know.
                Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 12, 2014, 05:42 PM.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

updated my post well I did it now in tech may help with yours

Comment

Ed, I meant sheets of plywood and moving the grandkids! ..

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                      updated my post well I did it now in tech may help with yours
                      Those look great! It looks like you planned yours so the flange sits on top of the wood, where I made mine to stay under the wood. Your way would make it much easier to get a nice clean look between the tub and the bed.........I just might raise mine that 3/4" to make that happen. Thanks!

Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 12, 2014, 05:38 PM.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Love the truck I'm sure whatever you do it'll be fine...
                        I'm spoiled my 71 has 295/50/15's on it.. and tons of room.. I may do like alex did and splice 2 tubs together to make them go to the frame rail.. but that's down the road..

Comment

Put the first two boards in temporarily and 1 bed iron. Moved the tubs out to 3-3/4". Looks pretty good, I think.

Now to cut off the excess and weld it up........

Thanks for the help guys. It's going to be a slow process finishing these up due to other stuff going on. I'll post up as I make decent progress.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

when ii did mine I raised the floor 1" to help with the rear end clearance... The axle tubes are 2 3/4" below the frame rails and the pumpkin the same below the floor ... Floor is extruded aluminum plank with a aluminum 1"x1/4" bars floor straps and is above the flange
                            Last edited by quick 52; June 13, 2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

That's a sweet truck. I don't have the clearance issues, except the gas tank being so close to the bed floor that to remove the wood I have to take the bed off. Looking at where my tires have rubbed, this looks like I'll have about 2" of additional room on top of the tire, and about 3" to the inside.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Working...
                              X