Gear vendors OD fitment in a GM A body/ brief intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear vendors OD fitment in a GM A body/ brief intro

Hello. I would like to introduce myself... been dabbling in Bang shift on face book, and an ocational post on the blog... decided to get on the forums too.
    I have a '70 Buick GS In now drivable condition and now getting to the fun part: shine, tune, improve, drive. I would like to participate in drag week as soon as me, my car, and my bank account are ready.

I would like to drive it more, and continue to work on driveability. AC and better brakes are some of the next projects. long term... aluminum heads(to get completely on pump gas), Overdrive, more paint work.

Right now i am researching Gear Vendors OD. Anyone installed one on an A body with a TH400 that would like to share their experiences?

i.e. what did you do about the floor board clearance, did you use their drop trans crossmember, what was you pinion angle like if you used the dropped member, did you have a drive shaft loop, 3" pipe exhaust ( i know i will have to move mine), yada yada...
    Rob
    '70 GS Stage1
    '94 Z-71

welcome! I don't have an A body, but I looked at putting a GV in my 55 chevy. Looks like the only real issue would be the parking brake, which is kind of in the way. I'd have to move the loop back, but that's not a big deal.

Did you google for A body GV installations? There should be some info out there on the internets somewhere

https://www.google.com/search?q=gear...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

I think if you find info on a 68-72 Chevelle installation, it is probably quite pertinent. Like this one...

Last edited by squirrel; July 13, 2014, 05:49 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      welcome! I don't have an A body, but I looked at putting a GV in my 55 chevy. Looks like the only real issue would be the parking brake, which is kind of in the way. I'd have to move the loop back, but that's not a big deal.

Did you google for A body GV installations? There should be some info out there on the internets somewhere

https://www.google.com/search?q=gear...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

I think if you find info on a 68-72 Chevelle installation, it is probably quite pertinent. Like this one...

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...s/viewall.html
      Thanks squirrel. Hadn't thought about the parking brake cables. not a big deal. i'm not running one anyway. may not ever depending on the rear disc set up i go to. I have googled a bunch. and still am! send Vendors an email asking for details. I'm not a beat on it kind of guy. i would rather make a cut, move and add material. need to settle that before i go for new carpet one of of these days.

I find it odd vendors doesn't show much detail of the control box at all. i didn't even know that was part of the deal until i hit the google search.
      Rob
      '70 GS Stage1
      '94 Z-71

Comment

Originally posted by evil16v View Post
        Hello. I would like to introduce myself... been dabbling in Bang shift on face book, and an ocational post on the blog... decided to get on the forums too.
        I have a '70 Buick GS In now drivable condition and now getting to the fun part: shine, tune, improve, drive. I would like to participate in drag week as soon as me, my car, and my bank account are ready.

I would like to drive it more, and continue to work on driveability. AC and better brakes are some of the next projects. long term... aluminum heads(to get completely on pump gas), Overdrive, more paint work.

Right now i am researching Gear Vendors OD. Anyone installed one on an A body with a TH400 that would like to share their experiences?

i.e. what did you do about the floor board clearance, did you use their drop trans crossmember, what was you pinion angle like if you used the dropped member, did you have a drive shaft loop, 3" pipe exhaust ( i know i will have to move mine), yada yada...
        As an option - swap the TH400 for a 4L80E - they are a th400 with OD added. Controllers are <$700 these days.

We just finished doing the same swap on a Olds 455.

Comment

Originally posted by efi-diy View Post

As an option - swap the TH400 for a 4L80E - they are a th400 with OD added. Controllers are <$700 these days.

We just finished doing the same swap on a Olds 455.
          I considered it. I would have went that way if the controllers weren't so new and pricey at the time i built the SP400 (switch pitch variation of TH400), the built 4l80 wasn't a cheap deal then either. But here i sit with a strong SP400 and and nice 1400/4000 convertor, with less than 500 miles on it. by the time i rebuy a good convertor($750), another trans built(2,000 --- buying outright from Jegs for quick comparison), and buy a controller($600),plus what ever adapter to go BOP.... i'm in deeper and don't have the split gear deal, plus if i screw up the 400, it's a cheaper fix.

Then on the other hand... if i had no trans or convertor *right now*. I would go 4L80E from there.
          Last edited by evil16v; July 13, 2014, 08:21 PM.
          Rob
          '70 GS Stage1
          '94 Z-71

Comment

Who's converter is that? PAE?

I'm running a 1400/3000 in my Chevy II. With a blown big block, I don't really need overdrive.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Who's converter is that? PAE?

I'm running a 1400/3000 in my Chevy II. With a blown big block, I don't really need overdrive.
              yup... got it through Jim Burek @ PAE back in the day. even 1400 i'm running 3K on 65-70 MPH roads. I have 3.90 ring and pinion.
              Rob
              '70 GS Stage1
              '94 Z-71

Comment

I'd consider a rear gear swap long before the addition of a gv overdrive.You dont say what you are running for a rear end but with torque your bbb should be making a 3.42, 3.23 or even a 3.08 might be considered. This might get you cruise rpm down to a reasonable level with out sacrificing too much performance.
                Rich

sigpic

Comment

I was told when I got mine for my 67 chevelle that the studs and nuts around the top were the big issue and that you could dimple the floor .....i never did put it in that car ended up in my 68 nova no cutting of beating but it very close (1/8") to seat brace ...don't hit with stiff poly mounts ....with a 3.70 gear and 26" tall tire can cruise at 60 mph @2200 or 85 @3200

Comment

Working...
                  X