390 horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 390 horses

I have a 390 sitting in my 72 camper special I want to set it up for the strip does any body have any ideas that wont break the bank. I was planning on putting on some 428 heads new headers a high rise carb a new camand hooking up a beefey er exaust system. im open to sugestions

You racing the truck or do you have some thing else to put it in? Sorry but I don't know anything about FE horsepower.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Cam for sure, strongly recomend you install an aluminum intake.. FE intakes break your back.. Install adjustable rockers (they ar non adjustable stock) 1958 331ci FE motor has the adjustables and will fit.. FE's are torquey, that is why they feel fast..

Comment

Aren't 390 and 428 heads identical? At least depending on the year. There are stroker kits depending what budget you are working with.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Some of the upper scale 428 heads are supposedly better.. Yes they interchange.. I added a Baja Beast Crower cam (or something) to m 390, really woke it up with the intake too..

Comment

Call Survival Motorsports and talk with Barry. VERY nice guy and will give you good advice on how to go with FE power.

Comment

thanx

Comment

Call Survival motorsports for sure - and talk to cam research on the cam. There's endless possibilities - but most of them are not cheap. Edelbrock heads are a good choice, it's VERY expensive to go with a roller cam in and FE since they were never designed for one. 428CJ heads or PI heads are great if you can find a set worthy of rebuilding - but honestly by the time you put hardened exhaust seats and a good valve job and mill them.... aluminum heads start looking like a really good alternative.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

how about a tri power intake?

Comment

Drop a LS in it.....LOL....kidding, kidding...that would have really pissed off 38P....

No idea...Any FE motor I ever had I just used and abused....if you do work to it make sure to make a project thread so we can follow along.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

427 FE with FAST XFI and tri power on a dove tunnel wedge perhaps? Kind of bank-breaking though...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BKBridges; November 6, 2014, 02:57 PM. Reason: $$$
                      www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                      Bruce K Bridges

Comment

ya that's true I think Im just gonna go with a comps cam mutha thumpr an edelbrock performer rpm intake and a double pumper. does anybody have andy suggestions on a distributor.

Comment

HEI conversion. Cheapest, easiest to wire up, and you can get parts for them everywhere. That's what the Jetboat 390 is getting.

Last edited by STINEY; November 11, 2014, 11:32 AM.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by 15wildea View Post
                            ya that's true I think Im just gonna go with a comps cam mutha thumpr an edelbrock performer rpm intake and a double pumper. does anybody have andy suggestions on a distributor.

Skip their Mother Thumpr cams. Most get returned as the only they are good for is that neato idle lope. They are for old fart, fairground cruisers who don't care about horsepower. They suck for low/midrange torque which is exactly what your truck needs. Get one of their Xtreme Energy cams instead.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

What Scott said - a lot of guys in the FE forum are very happy with the XE grinds all the way from the 270 to the 294 (I may be mixing up numbers)

I'm thinking the Thumper and Bootlegger cams are just marketing hype....
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X