Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio suggestions? Been a long time since I fooled with radios....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio suggestions? Been a long time since I fooled with radios....

Last time I really messed around with aftermarket radios was 1997ish.....obviously lots has changed since then.

Such as the OEM radios now "knowing" which vehicle they are from, and having to go to a dealer to reprogram them to play nice with each other. Sheesh!

Anyways, the factory double DIN radio in our '06 Chevy Express 3500 van is getting wonky, in more than one way. Sometime it won't even come on, until you restart the vehicle. And it refuses to puke up a CD without being gagged with a straightened paperclip (with a hook on the end)

I've had enough.

Last night, I nearly loaded up on aftermarket audio stuff at our local WalFart. Picked out a single DIN cd/dvd player with the popup screen, the mounting adapter, the wiring adapter, etc. Then found that they don't stock any of the display models. WTF? Screw WalFart, I'll find something better elsewhere.

And that led me to think of asking you guys for recommendations. I don't need to go bumping down the road, but I do like a nice sounding system.

A good head-unit that will play nice with my factory speakers should do the trick, I think. Not sure I really need/want amps and boxes in the Toter, just some good tunes on those long hauls.

What say you?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I got a nice Pioneer one with a bluetooth connection and a mic that I set next to the A-pillar on my Skylark. With the windows down, humming along at 70mph the hands free phone calls work, close at least the drivers window and it makes conversation cake. Plus it syncs into Pandora or bluetooth audio (mp3's) automatically through my phone. It also has a CD player and USB port that can be loaded up with MP3's/WMA's, etc. It was only like $120.

Touchscreens are okay, but would personally only get one if it includes a GPS and navigation program, otherwise it's just added complication IMO. I have one in my Firebird (used to be in the Skylark), and it was a bargain basement model, and mostly junk (last I checked it wasn't on the market anymore), but the GPS and navigation part of it works great. Knowing my actual speed, having a tripometer, etc. is pretty nice on long drives and tracking mpg's. It also bluetooths into my phone but the mic is in the radio and doesn't work nearly as well as the dash mounted remote one. It also sync's up to the phone's audio for mp3's, pandora, etc. as well as lets you hands free dial phone calls.

As loud as my cars are, especially going down the highway with the windows down, the sound quality to me just has to be passable, and both units work just fine with what ever speakers are in the cars. I'm not an audiophile.

I've used Amazon.com to get both radio's.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 19, 2014, 08:58 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I just have an amp in my cars these days. plug in an ipod or phone.

Sorry I can't help.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        Such as the OEM radios now "knowing" which vehicle they are from, and having to go to a dealer to reprogram them to play nice with each other.
        Crap! Now you've got me thinking I need to bench test my $10 Lincoln radio before I install it . . . but it's out of a '98, so maybe it doesn't have a body computer interface "nanny" . . . .

I'd like one of those fancy touchscreen GPS/Navigation head units but can't justify the budget for one . . . a radio in a DW car is mainly to hear the track announcer anyhow. And maps are still cheap.

Shocked that Walmart doesn't have any radios in the store anymore (that was probably my "Plan B" if the JY Lincoln unit didn't work)
        Last edited by 38P; August 19, 2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

probably depends where you live, our local walmart has several radios in stock.

98 lincoln might have some kind of antitheft thing, the 99 silverado did.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

totally depends on the store. All three of the ones I reluctantly go into have radios, pretty badass ones at that, for less than 100.00

The cheap one I put in my Lightning a few years back even charges the phone if you plug it into the USB.
            Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2014, 09:53 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

98 lincoln might have some kind of antitheft thing, the 99 silverado did.
              Maybe I'll just have a transistor radio duct-tapped over the double DIN hole in the dash so I can hear Lohnes ....

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                The cheap one I put in my Lightning a few years back even charges the phone if you plug it into the USB.
                I think my Pioneer does that as well.

Comment

do the power windows still work? you could open a window...they have loudspeakers...
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

DUDE, do you remember how old I am? Them speakers ain't that loud anymore . . . .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	earplug.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	960535

for your transistor radio
                      Last edited by squirrel; August 19, 2014, 10:07 AM.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        . I'm not an audiophile..
                        I don't consider my self an audiophile, but I hate MP3 format (leaves 70% of the music on the shelf) I must have spent too much time hanging out with my music major friends in college, apparently some of it rubbed off.

Call me borderline audiophile, I teeter on the fence.

Our Walmart had some in stock, but I kinda outgrew the $30 Kraco stuff back in the 80's The good stuff was not stocked.

So what I'm hearing from you guys is that even the cheap stuff now is pretty darn good?

Comment

I don't know what you consider cheap, but I don't spend over $150 on a radio, or over $120 if I can help it.

They play regular CD's as well, but if you are looking for a new 8-track, cassette or someway to play vinyl in your car stereo, I'm not sure I can help you

I listen to radio or satellite radio 95% of the time. The CD's I do have I've burned to MP3 format and are on a singular disc or memory card (the touchscreen radio I have uses an SD card, as does interestingly enough my new truck).
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 19, 2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                            (the touchscreen radio I have uses an SD card, as does interestingly enough my new truck).
                            Oh really??? Very interesting.

Comment

You're lucky if you can still hear the difference. I usually can't.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X