inline vortec - partz.... update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inline vortec - partz.... update

When the aftermarket isn't supportive - whats a hot rodder to do..

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

This is intended to mount the turbo high - lots of hood clearance in a '51 GMC ...

Re: inline vortec - partz....

What are you making it out of? Cast or fabricated?

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I'm doubting billet, that would be horendous material loss. I'm guessing its the idealized version of something that will be welded from stainless steel off of machined flanges. I want to know what is the tower off the bottom you can see between # 3-4 runners, wastegate flange?
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Fabricated..

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Comment

this is cool, i would like to see more pics.

Comment

Cool! - Not the typical bundle of snakes off a flange. Taking the hard way aren't you.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
              I'm doubting billet, that would be horendous material loss. I'm guessing its the idealized version of something that will be welded from stainless steel off of machined flanges. I want to know what is the tower off the bottom you can see between # 3-4 runners, wastegate flange?
              It'll start as 2 1 1/2" plates with the internal passages routed out then welded together. The vertical tower will come out of another set of plates. The bottom tower is for the wastegate. The head and turbo flanges are cut for more flat plate then the whole works is glued together by Chris the metal fusion wizard <http://www.performance-shop.com/yabb...opic=42598.60> Look near the bottom of the page. Once the head flange gets its final trim following weldiing then they get ceramic coated. The end result is a leakfree manifold that won't warp or crack.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway
                this is cool, i would like to see more pics.
                I'm waiting for my wastegate to show up before finishing the lower flange.... One neat thing about this build method is that its quite easy to modify the design to suit different chassis e.g. a traiblazer. Once the head and turbo flange pattern is known, and where the turbo needs to located the rest is 2-3 hours work.

Comment

Re: inline vortec - partz.... update

Got the cam blanks from the platers... to the cam grinders we will go...

Comment

Onto the plenum....

I could really use a wax disposition SLA right about now.....

Comment

very nice efi-diy . . . I can tell that you have put a lot of work into the design phase of this project, I'm betting it pays off for you.

Keep us updated, I like this kind of stuff!

Comment

diy, take us through the engine management again...

you're using an EDIS-6 module and coilpacks from Ford, right?

What about pistons & rods, upgrades? and what about the variable valve timing, how is that eliminated? I have friends asking a lot of questions as these motors are very easy to come by...

your project is more and more impressive, please post or link to more details!
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

D'geek.

Your correct that these engines are easy to come by - no one wants them - yet. I wish I had been at drag week when the nova wagon was running .... that sold me on this project. I'm starting with a 2006 engine to get the better head.

Spark is EDIS-6 wasted spark, I made a custom timing wheel and brackets to mount in front of the stock balancer. The balancer is tight against the block so this is the only option where to put the timing wheel. http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9472/p9030071um1.jpg

The short is being beefed up to handle boost with Darton sleeves replacing the OEM dry sleeves, Crower is making a set of rods suitable for the boost expected. J&E is making a set of turbo pistons and also supplying ring and pistons pins. The top of the sleeve will have an O-ring groove pre-cut.

The head will get a receiver groove, using a copper head gasket.

The main and head fasteners will be replaced with studs.

The head is getting turbo friendly valves ( ouch $$$$$ -- donations kindly accepted... ;) ) with springs, retainers and lock to match the camshafts. I'm keeping the VVT. In stock form I've heard snippets that the '06 head will flow >300cfm on the intake...! :o not bad to fill 42 ci.....

The cam shaft blanks are ready to be sent out - I'm waiting for a race buddy to come back with his on-site visit at the cam grinders to see which way the wind is blowing. If folks are not aware there are no uncut cam blanks available on the market for the atlas series engines - GM refuses to release them. So its either go billet or go home. I think GM powertrain had an internal firefight Atlas Vs Ecotec engines and the Ecotec won.

The intake runners have provisions to add additional injectors to support supplemental/alternative fuels ;). The lower runners are made separately from the intake flange and then Tig'ed on. I hope to get the runners cast - preferably investment cast to get the surface finish. The next step in this design process is getting the molds done ( more ouch $$$). I'm looking at options here. the runners have provision to add 2.25 OD tubing at the top of the runners.

In my application I have head room to spare so this is why I'm going vertical initially then most likely into a 90 deg bend to put the plenum over the valve cover leaving room to get it off. I need to print out a end view and check it on the truck.

Several options could be done:

1) add ITB
                          2) add a plenum directly on top of the runners.
                          3) do a 90 as above.

One could have the fuel management configured to switch fuel types at a given boost level say to methanol. Or do a blended cut over.

Right now I'm running MS2 V3 B&G code. I might change over to extra. I'm hoping that I can get one of the MS s/w types to write the code to handle the VVT - right now its not connected. If the sequencer board and gpio become reality then I "might" switch over to it and use one of the GPIO outputs to control the cam timing. Just wish my C was better than it is. I think there is something to be gained with the VVT under boost. e.g. when its time to spool the turbo move the cam to reduce the overlap and timing to put heat into the exhaust manifold.

I'm looking at Jame's code to run the 4L70e.

The first elbow out of the turbo is going schedule 40 pipe into a vibration coupling. After the coupling into std. exhaust tubing. If I have issues with it I change it later.

Most likely I'll run a MS1 box to control the supplemental injectors (I'm better at assembler than C) and have them come on only when the boost is up.

The rest of the system consists of a turbo dodge truck intercooler. The trans got beefed last summer to hopefully take the power, the rest of the drive train is fairly stout 1330 series drive shaft and a 9" with aftermarket axles.

If there are others who may be interested in the intake and/or exhaust parts - the more the merrier to spread the setup charges around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                            very nice efi-diy . . . I can tell that you have put a lot of work into the design phase of this project, I'm betting it pays off for you.

Keep us updated, I like this kind of stuff!
                            Thanks

I've done mod's both ways - grab material and start fab... and this way sit and do a proper design. The first way is faster but not repeatable - ok for one off's, until buddy comes along and gee I like that...

I'm also learning the 3D modeling tool as I go.. kind of tough when I get stuck. The first runner took 18 hours to do... the next one 2 hours (bad memory...) the last one 30 min's. So its another design skill in the tool box. It also keeps me inside - especially tonight its -45 deg here with the wind chill BRRRRRRRRR. It would take 3 hours to warm the shop up enough to go work in...

Comment

this project is awesome. I saw the Cunningham Nova firsthand, and it was an amazing powertrain!!!

Thanks for detailing the project - that is a dream combination I've been wanting to do for a long time!!

I have a little input, regarding the EDIS modules and coilpacks. I believe you're going to run out of coil very early (spark blowout) as I've worked with those quite a bit and found them to be a little sketchy under high boost... by all means, make sure you run the original "Ford Motorcraft" coilpack with your EDIS-6 module as they've been proven to be hotter than the parts store replacements (look into Bruce Bowling's coil analysis software, he tested a handful of coils for me, the Mitsu coils are the hottest, followed by LS1 truck coils, etc.).

What you COULD do, is go with an MS1-Extra setup, read the EDIS wheel directly (eliminate the EDIS module), and set up 3 wasted spark outputs to run the ignition system of your choice. On a budget for big boost, I'd suggest the Mitsu coilpack and ignitor off a 3000GT VR4 turbo car. On the higher dollar side, I'd go with a set of Pantera IGN-1A coilpacks, which are what we run on Huber's car. I think you'd be fine with the easily obtained Mitsu stuff though, and you're still talking less $$ than a basic MSD box :-)

The flip side is, since you're probably going to "ease" into the power this engine is capable of, is go with the EDIS combo until you run into issues, then make the swap.

One other benefit of MS1-Extra is you can run dual table and run your second bank of injectors off INJ2. That is how we're running Parish8's new LS1 engine with two fuel systems - INJ1 drives a 4-pack of 32lb units for cruise, idle, etc. and the 8-pack of 160lb Methanol injectors come on as boost builds. So far this is workign for us on the bench, I'm waiting for the rest of the powertrain to be put together in the next 2 weeks to test it in reality.

Also, we are running a microsquirt and James' trans controller code. I think we'll be the first unless you beat us to it, so we will need to compare notes. James is being very helpful with code changes if we need it. I've already identified one big problem (that also exists on BigStuff3) with the trans controller code, and that is - "RPM" is taken from the trans input shft, NOT the engine. Shift points based on RPM are a problem when you are playing with different boost levels, but James is telling me he can make the shift points be based off engine RPM. So we'll see how that goes!!

Your project is awesome. I'd honestly rather be working on an I6 than the monster LSx parish is building right now!! the capabilities GM built into that engine have yet to be pushed!

-scott

Comment

Working...
                              X