Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: inline vortec - partz.... update

Originally posted by yellomalibu
    A local racer (and machinist and fabricator) is using a 5 cylinder Vortec in his dragster. His name: Glen Treadwell. I talked to a friend/helper of his in Lowe's a few weeks back. He talked about how much the camshaft(s?) cost to have made... I'm sure the intake and exhaust were pricey, too.
    I asked him how fast Glen's been with that motor... and I can't remember what he said, I think it was low 8's.

Last time I saw Glen at the races, he was using a Ford 300ci inline 6 cyl.

A lot of creativity in that class of drag racing (Comp Eliminator).

The kicker is there are no cam blanks available for this engine unless you go billet steel ($300 for each cam blank) + $650 to $800 for each cam to get ground - there is so much material to remove from a round lobe it take a long time thus the $$$$$$.

Comment

Comment

What would it take to use that manifold as a N/A application as well?

Comment

Blocking off the wastegate holes in the bottom I'd think, probably want to fill them aswell since it would likely cause turbulence.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Re: inline vortec - partz.... update July 20

Its been a while but work in the shop is going well the turbo manifold is now a real piece of steel....

The Turbo intake manifold is well underway with the investment cast lower runners work in progress, hopefully will be able to cast them in 2 weeks. The runner on the right is what comes out of the rapid prototype machine, and the item on the left is the wax positive for that we use to pour the silica/plaster negative mould. Once the plaster is hard the wax gets melted out of the plaster mould leaving a cavity to pour metal...

Comment

sounds good

Comment

And the turbo intake ... work in progress, the wax positives are shown ontop of the intake flange. The wax is used to do lost wax casting.

7190380go9.jpg][/URL]

Comment

And the billet turbo exhaust manifold...

Comment

Head flow numbers for my '06 head..... this is to fill a 43 ci cylinder..

The intake port is essentially stock with the gross lumps knocked off, the exhaust got a fair bit of work with the port exit at the flange open almost up to the stock gasket.

Lift Intake cfm Exhaust cfm

100 91.3 95.3
                    200 176.9 160.1
                    300 239.1 187.3
                    400 295.4 199.9
                    450 309.8 212.1

So the exhaust could get a bit more work to get it up to the 72-75% number.. but for now it'll go on as is. What is interesting is the .100/.200 exhaust flow, with turbo this should make good velocity and help get the turbo spooled... wait and see.

Comment

Finished version of the manifold .... fully welded and coated installed on the pre-'06 motor that is in the truck.

Peeking out under the manifold is the waste gate and support brace.

By efi_diy, shot with E-500 at 2008-09-09

Once testing is completed on the '06 turbo motor I'll post results....

Comment

Project status on the '06 turbo motor build...

Head is 95% complete waiting for valve guide seals... mix up on parts for the past 2 weeks @#$!@!.

Short block is almost complete - waiting for one supplier to validate a couple of parts.

Cam shafts are here waiting for the head.

The intake runners are at a proper foundry getting investment cast.. happens to be owned by a hot rodder ... he 's always wanted to cast hot rod parts.. so we made a trade.. !

So within 30 days the turbo engine will be together - too bad we'll be in mid to late fall here - anything after mid-Oct the weather could either be really nice or the start of an early winter - it sucks living at 4000 asl and close to the mountains but cool in mid-summer the sun sets at 10PM ..

Even crappier the local race track went out of business

Comment

Forgot to mention it...

The turbo exhaust manifold is now available for anyone who want to turbo this motor.... www.steedspeed.com - contact for details. First to order gets a significant price cut..

Comment

Working...
                          X