Driveshaft carrier bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft carrier bearing

Have any of you ever changed out a carrier bearing aka center support bearing on a Chevy truck in your driveway/ garage with no press, using only hammer and chisel?

I'm about to attempt it. I'm not to worried about the removal- experience in a machine shop taught me that a good whack with a hammer makes pressed on bearings come right off. It's the driving it back on that has me concerned. Hammer and punch... wish me luck

you don't have a piece of pipe?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yes, on an older pedestal type. In my case the center yoke unbolted after the u-joint was out.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I did not have a piece of pipe, but was able to remove the old one with a large metal punch and a hammer and then reinstall the new one with a small punch that didn't hit the dust shield as I slowly tapped the bearing down into place.
        It did make me nervous whacking the inner race with a metal punch, afraid I would split it - but it didn't split it, and all is right in the world of my driveshaft.

What surprises me is that I didn't feel any vibration in the driveline even though I had over an inch of slop in the rubber isolator around the semi-seized up carrier bearing. I just happened to notice it was bad a couple weeks ago while under the truck for some other reason.

...and I must have missed the grease nipple on the slip part of the drive shaft, because the splines were dry and slightly rusty. It required some pb blaster and working it in and out a bit to get it out. It is now greased.
        Last edited by yellomalibu; August 24, 2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

I have a drawer full of pieces of pipe and such of various sizes...maybe because I have a press to use them with.

Good to hear you got it fixed.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
          X