Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good mini spare donor for rims to use as front runners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good mini spare donor for rims to use as front runners?

I've been thinking about getting a second set of wheels for the Dart just for drag racing, but on the cheap. (Of course, I have to finish the car first!) I was thinking of using mini spare rims (with real tires - not about to use the mini spare tires for this) to go on the front. The Dart has been swapped to a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern disc brakes that require 15" or larger bolt pattern. Did anything use a mini spare with an aluminum rim in that size?

I don't know what the rim diameter was but a friend used aluminum space-savers from early-80's Mustangs, IIRC, as front runners.

I know, I'm just a fountain of information.
    Last edited by 68scott385; September 5, 2014, 06:38 AM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

It seems like some Panthers (Crown Victoria, Town Car, Grand Marquis) back in the 90s did . . . .

I thought about the mini-spare wheel thing when my 15x4s wouldn't fit over 12.8" rotors . . . but that sticker that says not to remount any tire on the rim made me chicken out. (I do know that plenty of Mustang racers have ground off that sticker and got real drag front runners installed on :"doughnut" rims, but I've also heard that sometimes tech inspectors still bounce 'em.)

I'd like to know more reports, because there just aren't any good, cheap narrow rims in 17" . . . .
      Last edited by 38P; September 5, 2014, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
        I've been thinking about getting a second set of wheels for the Dart just for drag racing, but on the cheap. (Of course, I have to finish the car first!) I was thinking of using mini spare rims (with real tires - not about to use the mini spare tires for this) to go on the front. The Dart has been swapped to a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern disc brakes that require 15" or larger bolt pattern. Did anything use a mini spare with an aluminum rim in that size?
        the SN95 Mustang guys were running the Cobra spare wheels for skinnies... big brakes on that car meant bigger spares. Might check into that because I don't think they were Temporary spares in the traditional 50mph context. I think they were aluminum too.

17" wheel... t155 - 70 x 17 should be about a 25.5" tire.
        Last edited by Beagle; September 5, 2014, 06:55 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

My 94 cobra spare is a 17" wheel but it is steel.

Comment

Some T Bird spares are aluminum. The swoopy body ones.

Nick

Comment

The problem with T-Bird spares is that from 1980-87 they were all Fox four-lug (only the Panthers, Fox Lincolns, Ranger, Aerostar, Bronco II, and the SVO Mustang got 5x4.5 wheels during that time span) and then Taurus-style (metric5x108mm . . . essentially5x4.25)
              Last edited by 38P; September 5, 2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JWS4621 View Post
                My 94 cobra spare is a 17" wheel but it is steel.
                If memory serves, my '98 Cobra spare is also 17" steel (and it used to be a pricey item to replace . . . .)

I think our '04 Marauder's doughnut wheel is 18" steel (early Marauders had an unpolished full-size aluminum 18" wheel for a spare) . . . the 2012 300A Mustang GT's spare is an ugly 18" aluminum thing 18" with the warnings cast into it along with "Made in China" . . . .

Comment

too bad I sold those Super Tricks....they'd be perfect. Oh well.

I finally found some aluminum slots 15x4.5 but chevy bolt pattern...they're great front runners.

my guess is the offset might be wrong on the mini spares?
                  Last edited by squirrel; September 5, 2014, 02:39 PM.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Ever notice the space savers running on the street?.. As Squirrel says, they are offset towards the car.. We like them on derby cars because the rubber is protected towards the inner car somewhat.. And are 16", so id the tire is flat, the car does not drag.. Check out Jeep Wagoneers, can't think what years but they have 16" and 2 bolt patterns, some are aluminum...

Comment

maybe this guy will split up the front in the rears ​http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/pts/4625937020.html
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Is this the "do not remount" spare?

Mk VII's had 5x4.5in wheels but car-part.com says it's shared with Crown Vic/Grand Mar and Continental.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          maybe this guy will split up the front in the rears ​http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/pts/4625937020.html
                          Thanks, that's a nice find, but a bit out of my current budget.
                          Last edited by Matt Cramer; September 8, 2014, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X