No announcement yet.

QUITE mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol,...no it was an old computer desk we threw out.

Comment

Did it have the holes in it already?
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        Did it have the holes in it already?
        yes. i've still got them laying around here somewhere. i think i even drilled some extra holes? i took a screwdriver and bent/angled the metal a little bit. probably why it looks like a cheese grater? if you do a google search, theres info out there on making baffles.
        at the time i had dual exhaust with flowmaster super 44s. it dumped before the rear axle and was stupid loud for a street car. i've made a lot of changes since then, but the baffles made a HUGE difference. nice thing is that they're removable, and it really didnt cost me anything.

Comment

You aren't going to do much better than those large case Magnaflows. However, I was happy with SpinTech split case mufflers for their idle and cruise sound. Remember, the RPM you cruise at has a lot to do with how loud things are going to be too. The SpinTechs were close to silent when I was in over-drive and the Jones (magnaflow knock-offs) were nearly as quiet, but in 3rd it's a bit loud.
          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

I have the 3" pypes x pipe kit with tail pipes and race pro mufflers on my bbc nova ...was very surprised how quiet compared to flow masters had before.. full kit was only $425 on ebay stainless pipes to boot

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad68 View Post
              I have the 3" pypes x pipe kit with tail pipes and race pro mufflers on my bbc nova ...was very surprised how quiet compared to flow masters had before.. full kit was only $425 on ebay stainless pipes to boot
              The problem: he doesn't have room for tail pipes. That was one of my first thoughts, too.
              That's on my list of things the Chevelle needs to be a better street car - but at the moment, I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do with ~$500.

Comment

I am running Ultra Flows on a 450-500HP 360 and I am happy with the noise level, its way way more quiet than when it had flowmasters on it...bigtime!

I do run a 3" system with 2.5" tailpipes though so that may make a difference. I just spent drag week with it spinning 3500-3800RPM on the highway with no additional hearing loss lol. Its quiet enough to talk in even with the windows down etc.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

I guess I am a little gun shy to trying another "straight through" style muffler for my application. I could see the Ultra-flows being slightly different than the MagnaFlows mostly in tone but I just can't believe that they would be significantly quieter. I am sure a lot of my issues are in fact my issues (combination). It is 533 CIs with 11.2 - 1 compression. It is unfortunate that I did not design the rear setup to accommodate exhaust but with the 4-link, panhard bar, sway bar, coil-overs and gas tank there just isn't a path through to the back of the car now.

I went with the DynoMax Super Turbos - 17665.
                  After I bought them I determined that they have different baffling than the "universal" models that they show the cut-away on. I have no clue if that is what causes the reduction in flow and no lost horsepower ratings over the old 17770 models.

Probably a mistake power wise - time will tell. I saved the old system (intact) so that I could swap it back should I not be able to tolerate the horsepower loss.

Comment

I run a 3" x-pipe. 14" case straight-through muffler and then a 45 degree bend out the side of the car infront of the rear tires. That last part is the most important, get the exhaust exit out from under the car. I can hold a conversation in my car with the windows rolled down.
                    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                      get the exhaust exit out from under the car.
                      ^ This.....is key. Think of the bottom of the car as a crudely shaped megaphone - it amplifies and resonates, and the shell you are in is part of the wall of the megaphone. Get the sound "OUT" before the megaphone effect can take place.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                        I went with the DynoMax Super Turbos - 17665....

Probably a mistake power wise - time will tell. I saved the old system (intact) so that I could swap it back should I not be able to tolerate the horsepower loss.
                        it'd be interesting to see a before/after dyno - more to the point I wonder if you'll pick up a little bit of torque down really low at the expense of a few hp numbers up top.

Do you have room for cutouts ?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Somehow I dont think that power loss is going to be much of a problem for you Allen.I have followed you around the country on several occasions,or I should say I have attempted to follow you on several occasions.
                          Last edited by CaminoKid; September 22, 2014, 01:30 PM.
                          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Sorry about the poor quality pictures. The black collector extensions are 3 1/2" diameter and 13 1/2" long.
                            Right now it is very quiet but I am sure they will loosen up a little when I get some miles on them. I wish I could get the tone from the MagnaFlows with the decibel level of the SuperTurbos. Wish in one hand sh_t in the other and see which one fills up first!
                            Last edited by cstmwgn; September 22, 2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X