Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding wheels, what kind do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding wheels, what kind do you prefer?

It's been a while since I have had to buy a wheel for my grinder (6") and I'm not sure who makes what that is worth buying any more. What / who are you guys using for grinding wheels?

Thanks -
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Norton makes good stuff, and also Pferd( spelling is correct). So many different products in each brand ,it will really depend on you needs. Also so many other brands I am sure others will mention, but those are the ones I sold most of.

Comment

I get mine at our one REAL tool store. Cheap grinding wheels are just plain dangerous - they CAN come apart and I think we can all figure out the result. That goes double for cheap wire wheels as their little quills imbed themselves in your skin.

BTW - I finally found the OTHER name for a green wheel that I've been recommending. They are listed as a "deburring wheel". They kick butt!

Dan

Comment

If you are talking about discs, gotta go blue, zirconium discs, last far longer than any other ones. If you can find a klingspor dealer, they are really cheap selling direct.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll have a look. I'd seen Norton and Delta stuff but it's been a while since I have used one up so I thought I'd check!

6x1 or 6x3/4 on a 5/8 arbor. They are getting worn down to the nub.

Dan, I hear you on the wire wheel. When they start spitting bristles, they hit the recycle bin. I'm not always 100% good about wearing safety glasses (I know... I know.) since I got metal in my eye the last time taking OFF the goggles. Anyway, getting a bristle stuck in your belly sucks, so I'm not tolerant of bad wheels.

Comment

Got a bristle in the fat beside my knee making MRI's unable to see my f'd up knee.. Thus surgery waits till it comes out or I fall and f'up the knee

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Got a bristle in the fat beside my knee making MRI's unable to see my f'd up knee.. Thus surgery waits till it comes out or I fall and f'up the knee
              Wow, really screws up the MRI? We went thru a ton of shit with my dad breaking his back and hip and they didnt want to do an MRI because of the screw they put in his hip. They ended up telling us its all just protecting the hospital in case the temperature rises with the steel. The young 4th year med student that was heading up the case was in a wheel chair from an accident, she said there have been plenty of studies that show the temp does not increase enough to hurt you.

I guess she needed more schooling.

I tried to get a good brush, ended up buying a braided wheel, way too sharp for automotive work well., maybe not an old steel frame.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

Wow, really screws up the MRI? We went thru a ton of shit with my dad breaking his back and hip and they didnt want to do an MRI because of the screw they put in his hip. They ended up telling us its all just protecting the hospital in case the temperature rises with the steel. The young 4th year med student that was heading up the case was in a wheel chair from an accident, she said there have been plenty of studies that show the temp does not increase enough to hurt you.

I guess she needed more schooling.

I tried to get a good brush, ended up buying a braided wheel, way too sharp for automotive work well., maybe not an old steel frame.
                Heats up the metal? Uh, okay. What about the metal under your ass during the MRI, does it heat it up?

I have metal in my cheek and it's stainless... I got all freaked out about MRI before I remembered / got reminded that most stainless is not magnetic. The giant magnets didn't rip it out of my cheek the last time I had an MRI on my back and other than being WAY claustrophobic, I didn't notice the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  Thanks guys, I'll have a look. I'd seen Norton and Delta stuff but it's been a while since I have used one up so I thought I'd check!

6x1 or 6x3/4 on a 5/8 arbor. They are getting worn down to the nub.

Dan, I hear you on the wire wheel. When they start spitting bristles, they hit the recycle bin. I'm not always 100% good about wearing safety glasses (I know... I know.) since I got metal in my eye the last time taking OFF the goggles. Anyway, getting a bristle stuck in your belly sucks, so I'm not tolerant of bad wheels.
                  I wouldn't change from Norton or Delta... whatever you can buy at your local welding store is the right one.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

MRI= magnetic resonance imaging.. My fake hip is "surgical steel" (stainless) the bristle glows, can see the outline but the glow blurrs the knee damage that it is unreadable..

Comment

Back on topic, stay away from tent sales, HF and the cheapo's. They wear very fast or chip out...

Comment

I recently bought a course wheel from Grizzly but doubt that I would buy another one from them. It doesn't seem to be well balanced - my grinder vibrates pretty badly when it is slowing down. I can't comment on wear / durability as yet as I really don't use it a ton.

Comment

I use the HF cutting wheels for my die grinder and have never had a problem with them failing and for the price you just can't beat them, especially when they are on sale. And IMO 90% of grinding wheels are made in china anyways, people just put their names on them and call them theirs. Or put it this way the grinding wheels on my HF grinders have been doing the job for years now, no problems.
                          Last edited by BigAL; September 18, 2014, 08:59 PM.
                          The Green Machine.
                          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Heats up the metal? Uh, okay. What about the metal under your ass during the MRI, does it heat it up?

I have metal in my cheek and it's stainless... I got all freaked out about MRI before I remembered / got reminded that most stainless is not magnetic. The giant magnets didn't rip it out of my cheek the last time I had an MRI on my back and other than being WAY claustrophobic, I didn't notice the heat.

My wife has been a Nuclear Medicine Technologist (which means she is certified to use radioactivity to take images of your body functions & structure) for 20 years. The MRI people just need to know the metal is in your body, and approximately where/what it is, and they work around it with no ill effects.

Its when they/you get surpised that weird/bad things happen.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

if she'll knock people out with valium, I'd drive up there to have an MRI done. I don't think I'm gonna do that again, saw what we needed to see I guess. "One of these discs is not like the others" ooooops.

Norton's bench grinder wheels are made in North America - TX, CA, MA, Ontario and Mexico. I'll go with one of those and report back if I have problems. The DeWalt wheel on this grinder has not lasted like I expected it to, not exactly sure why.

HF is like a box of chinesium chocolates.

Comment

Working...
                              X