700R4 fluctuating line pressures, internal knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4 fluctuating line pressures, internal knocking

I'm experiencing an internal knocking in my trans.

It's a 1990 700R4 that I swapped into my Jeep along with the original 4.3l from a 1990 S-10 blazer. I also retained the NP231HD transfer case.When I first installed it last year, October, everything operated fine. I replaced the torque converter and flex plate with new ones for good measure. The TC was seated properly and the bolts were properly torqued and I used blue loc-tite. Both drive shafts including the u-joints are new. Over the last month, I heard a very minor clicking which progressed into a knocking.
    I connected a pressure gauge and found the line pressure fluctuates wildly in all gear selections including park and neutral. The internal knocking coincides with the needle movement. As I increase engine rpm, the fluctuation seems to stabilize. The vehicle drives fine, has positive shifts, doesn't have any lag between park to reverse or reverse to drive. I believe it has something to do with possibly the pressure regulator valve oscillating in it's bore, possibly caused by a weak spring.

Please provide me with any feedback. I don't want to tear this down in case someone needs me to drive it to provide troubleshooting feedback.

FWIW: I can change the sound if I pull on the TV cable. ...And yes, the TV cable has always been connected and properly adjusted. The engine and tranny has approximately 135,000 miles on them. The original fluids were in decent shape and no signs of burnt trans fluid. The pan was pretty clean and very little build-up on the pan magnet.

Thank you for your input!
Working...
X