Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating a 70 chevy truck build

Bear with me, i must explain....

As my 1994 Silverado I have daily driven for the last 16 years gets worn out, I have thought about rebuilding it in some fashion. It requires downtime, a lot of money, rust repair, and no evolution of a newer vehicle that i probably need for continued reliability. so that is out.

Thought about new truck time. it will be a while before the family vehicle is paid off. also a lot of money on a constant basis, as well as higher insurance and tags. that i can't afford while finishing my 70 GS..... and they are kinda ugly. so NO GO there.

This Idea gets me a "pay as i go/ when i can plan", esentually a new modern day drive train, suspension, and a Nice 68-72 truck i have drooled over for years.

SO... here is the IDEA, half baked at best (help me bake the rest of the way, i won't start on this till it is fully thought out and have some money to start picking up pieces):

1. Buy a lightl to moderately rolled '04-06 Chevy or GMC Shortbed 5.3/4L60E 4x4(been seeing a couple with decent miles for around 2-3K).

2. Pluck the body off, replace with 68-72 cab, use more commonly available 68-72 long bed and splice to match chassis length ('01-06 short bed chassis is 2" longer).

3. Use drive train electronics only, get cable conversion tail drive shaft to use a refurbished original cluster, use new 68-72 truck cab wiring. use a Vintage air set up for the AC, with stock appearing controls.

4. Stock appearing... All stock body/interior, .Hugger Orange, stock wheels if i can mod the calipers and baskets to let the 71 up disk brake 15" wheels to fit.

The included picture i found on the net is pretty much how i want it. i want to go with a '70 grill though.

I have seen this guy (included link) and some others do a fine job building this type of thing. but their builds involved a lot of custom stuff on 2wd that i don't care to deal with. I think the above methods are a starting point for a simpler build. I really don't want this to be a build that takes forever. If it gets up and running fast, then details come later...that is ok. the worst part of this will be finding a cab and bed in good condition. may have to take some road trips out west.

Rob
    '70 GS Stage1
    '94 Z-71

Sounds like a cool project!
    I'm sure the body mount locations are different, so if you don't have the welding / fabrication skills to make the body and bumper mounts line up, paying someone to do this is something you'll need to add to the cost of the project.

Comment

I can definitely weld, and will be fabbing myself. From the huge thread link above, that guy said the 70 body mounts sit right in top of the rails widthwise. He just cut off the factory body mount brackets on the outside of the rail. I believe I will box the area a bit. He also had to remove the bed supposts from the bed to get the body lones to match, then he just welded his own supports on the frame, and I think bolted it on from there.
      Rob
      '70 GS Stage1
      '94 Z-71

Comment

I'd just swap the engine and trans, it would be faster and less expensive, plus if that truck has a rear coil spring suspension, that is better than leaf springs IMO.
        Last edited by BigAL; October 12, 2014, 12:30 PM.
        The Green Machine.
        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

The GM 6 lug rallys fit many years. I just put 15x8's on my '67 GMC. You can buy them new with either 5 or 6 lug.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Stockton Wheel can do the rally wheels in 16 inch and correct the backspacing for the late model chassis
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I don't know that I like you posting links to 147 page threads where I spend a whole Sunday afternoon looking at an ultra-cool build. You may be a bad influence on me.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                I'd just swap the engine and trans, it would be faster and less expensive, plus if that truck has a rear coil spring suspension, that is better than leaf springs IMO.
                Big al, i I really want IFS(efficiency, drive-ability), frame mounted fuel tank(i'm fat), modern day brakes, off the shelf part avaibility (lots of these parts are getting obsoleted by regular parts stores), all within a decade old, all ready to go with the motor, transfer, and tranny that is in it, ready to go. The IFS is really the biggest reason.
                Rob
                '70 GS Stage1
                '94 Z-71

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  The GM 6 lug rallys fit many years. I just put 15x8's on my '67 GMC. You can buy them new with either 5 or 6 lug.

those are what i want specifically but may have issues clearing the big brakes. if i understand right i would want the '71 up disk brake wheels.
                  Rob
                  '70 GS Stage1
                  '94 Z-71

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                    I don't know that I like you posting links to 147 page threads where I spend a whole Sunday afternoon looking at an ultra-cool build. You may be a bad influence on me.
                    I killed a couple nights on it myself. It was a hell of a build. the guy has skills. the only thing i didn't like was the late model wheels. I also have no intention of splicing a cab, or any trick stuff. just a stock 70 truck on a stock 04-06ish chassis (i want as new and low miles as possible). i just want to use a vintage air setup for the ac so it will fit good instead of all the trouble of trying to fit the late model setup. if it gets cold, heater and defroster work i am happy. the only other nonstock item i might change is power windows. even then i would go with era correct power window switches and maybe part of a gm harnes from a car to make it nice.
                    Rob
                    '70 GS Stage1
                    '94 Z-71

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      Stockton Wheel can do the rally wheels in 16 inch and correct the backspacing for the late model chassis
                      THat is the kind of information i would like. i will google them.. i would do a 16" wheel if it looked just like the ralleys. THANK YOU.!
                      Rob
                      '70 GS Stage1
                      '94 Z-71

Comment

I Emailed stockton to see what they had. i would reaaly like to use ralleys on it.
                        Rob
                        '70 GS Stage1
                        '94 Z-71

Comment

Originally posted by evil16v View Post
                          I Emailed stockton to see what they had. i would reaaly like to use ralleys on it.

LMC sells rallys for this truck with correct back spacing.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X