msd 8680 controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• msd 8680 controller

I just bought a missing link in ignition timing for a custom setup, with the appearance that it is all old under the hood. A carb, disty etc..
    I have the mtx-l AFR and love it, guides my foot on the 43mm throttle for a 1.8 liter.

I found 5v on the board inside the 8680, and am wondering of the 0 to 5 AFR wires from the guage can act as the potentiometer for the 8680
    ie: as the fuel richens, timing will advance.

maybe dieselgeek can chime in...must be a guru lurking out there.
    accel 300+
    subaru optical disty
    8.8mm wires
    mtx-l afr gauge
    rochester 43mm 1 barrel
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 16, 2014, 08:01 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

got too ahead of myself...hooked up power, seemed a dead one.
    tried it out... one quick hellacious tease of what I knew it needed...and then it would not work.

gotta find something along these lines in another brand.
    The few noises I got are a true eye opener.

I sent it back, simply due to the fact that someone had connectors on it...not a new item.

summit sending me crap is getting real ####ing tiresome.
    Previously boxer3main

Comment

Hate to say it but, most likely you killed it by trying to hook an oxygen sensor up to something running at +5v internally. They aren't designed for that. And from a "how the engine operates" perspective, that's not a good idea to assume the engine wants more timing with richer mixtures.

We used that control on Gary Hart's Studebaker (twin turbo chevy big block) at Bonneville. One thing we noticed was the indications on the front are far off from actual timing change. Use a light at different retards/advances to know for sure. Make sure your rotor phasing in the distributor will support the range of timing you want to run (i.e., you can advance or retard farther than the rotor in the distributor can support, and get spark jump to wrong cylinders).

Have you considered some of the MSD-6 digital boxes? they make nice programmable controllers with a MAP sensor and everything. Pretty affordable too. You could map a really precise timing curve that way.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        Hate to say it but, most likely you killed it by trying to hook an oxygen sensor up to something running at +5v internally. They aren't designed for that. And from a "how the engine operates" perspective, that's not a good idea to assume the engine wants more timing with richer mixtures.

We used that control on Gary Hart's Studebaker (twin turbo chevy big block) at Bonneville. One thing we noticed was the indications on the front are far off from actual timing change. Use a light at different retards/advances to know for sure. Make sure your rotor phasing in the distributor will support the range of timing you want to run (i.e., you can advance or retard farther than the rotor in the distributor can support, and get spark jump to wrong cylinders).

Have you considered some of the MSD-6 digital boxes? they make nice programmable controllers with a MAP sensor and everything. Pretty affordable too. You could map a really precise timing curve that way.
        just bought one, msd 6530 on its way. I have optical disty...hall effect input to 6530 should work.
        1 bar map, and already softwared the plan. Just need to get it hooked up.

got an old lap top while I was at it.
        sheathed grounded wires already setup for computer controls, slap it right in.

the map planned revealed tiny intake....tiny tight precise tiny little moves to go down the road.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
        X