Question regarding dual electric cooling fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding dual electric cooling fans

I have installed an aluminum radiator with dual electric fans in my Road Runner. I am puzzled as to how to route them electrically. Obviously, they will be run via a thermal switch, but should I run one fan at one temperature and the other fan at a higher temp, or should I run both of them at one temperature?

Thoughts? Ideas?
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

I say I just depends on what you want to do. If your trying to free up a few electrons kick them on one at a time. We'll actually the biggest killer to a electric motor is starting. So, if you can run on one out of the time it will be better for both. You may what to swith the plugs every year to make sure they both time out at the same time. Or not.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I tend to agree with the idea of variable speed control on one fan for more accurate temperature control, and the second on temperature switch at full speed as a back up with a manual bypass switch for cool downs between runs. The Spaal variable frequency controller was not a good one in our experience... presently looking for a better one
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

what kind of controller does it have? Are these the Nissan fans? Are they two speed or single? Do you have enough alternator for both of them? I'd turn the first on at 170-180 and the second one on at 200 - 210.
        Last edited by Beagle; November 2, 2014, 07:16 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have options on mine. I originally wired one to come on when the head pressure on the a/c got too high (trinary switch) and the other one to come on at 195* with a 180* thermostat. I also wired in a jumper that when connect allows both of them to come on based on radiator temperature. I have noticed a 20* difference when running one fan vs two fans in warm southern weather.

Comment

On the Chall w/ an MP aluminum front cover I drilled/tapped an extra hole so there are two temp switches, one triggers a fan (through relay of course) at 160 and the second at 180 or 200 or so. Has always worked well, I would think you'd want a manual override on one although I didn't for that car, I just leave the key turned on for a minute if it needs it in the "lanes", doesn't matter so much if the waterpump is not electric anyway. The last override I wired for a friend used a relay to cut power during engine cranking and in that particular case required a diode so power was not fed back into the accy circuits.

Comment

I just have one big fan on my Firebird, but have seen why having either two fans or a two-speed fan would be nice. If I could on mine I'd have it running at low speed anytime the rpm's were below say 1,200rpm, and then only kick on the high speed when cooling demands needed it.

My one fan kicks on at 200*F and off at 185*F, and it does a great enough job at temperature control it cycles when in stop and go traffic or in a drive through. So I'd do as some where suggesting and have one for low temp (my opinion is 180ºF) and one for high temp (my opinion is 200-210*F).
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                what kind of controller does it have? Are these the Nissan fans? Are they two speed or single? Do you have enough alternator for both of them? I'd turn the first on at 170-180 and the second one on at 200 - 210.
                Controller? Umm... I received no controller. Yes, they are the stock Nissan fans. I am unaware if they are single or two speed. Good question on the alternator. I may have to salvage the monster from my B250 conversion van...
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                X