Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd gen clutch slave cylinder. No preasure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen clutch slave cylinder. No preasure.

So, my last of 4 kids has taken his 91 Camaro across a parking lot island (curb) took out two tires and the hydraulic slave cylinder. I've retro fitted my T/A with a TV and this clutch arrangement. Which make it a little disconcerting that I can't get any line preasure. I filled the bowl , let it sit over night. Opened the bleeder till fluid came out. Went to pump the pedal. Nothing. My Haynes manual is worthless. Any ideas?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

you need to bleed the master cylinder... how you'd accomplish that on the one piece design? I have nary a clue.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

pictures, please, for those of us who don't have a similar car to look at.

in general, the master cylinder is what makes pressure. The slave cylinder is where you bleed the air out. But that's on normal hydraulic clutch setups. It's pretty hard to tell from your post, just what it is you are working on.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim , let me try to put it more plainly . ( without the story ) I replaced the tore up slave cylinder that with a rod pushes the throw out bearing backward like a zip bar would in the good old days. When the old one got tore up the mater cylinder on the fire wall emptied. Now I've filled it up and gravity bleed the line to the slave. Now I still have no pressure on the pedal when I pump it to bleed the slave.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ok. I've gone generic on you tube since over the last few days I've not found specific Camaro /firebird ones. Looks like 8 need to go under the car and compress the slave with a c clamp and a socket. Open the bleeder , let out the air, close the bleeder, let it such in the fluid.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

try vacuum bleeding it from bleeder?? or pull vacuum from resevior

Comment

I have a hybrid system on the S-10 consisting of a Benz slave and an S-10 master (I think it's the same as your master) and lots of Parker high pressure fittings. It was a STINKER to bleed. I used a BIG syringe full of brake fluid and used it to push fluid back into the master from the slave bleed screw. You can get the big syringe at a large animal vet. IIRC it took a couple of syringes full to get anything at all. This resulted in a little feel on the pedal. Then I got a buddy to come over and we bled the system from the master like you would bleed an old-fashioned brake system. I went thru about 10 fills of the master res before the pedal finally felt right.

Dan

Comment

I was getting ready to do it this morning when I thought I should watch the video for a refresher. Didn't find the same one but the principle was the same. Since our slave had a flange with a bolt hole on each side of the cylinder.got a tool at auto zone for a steering wheel puller. Bolt it on through the holes. Use the center compressing bolt to compress the piston. Fill the master with fluid open bleeder let air out of the line. Fill master and then release the bolt compressing the piston. Should take about 4 minutes. Being a little jaded I did the compressing of the piston and opening the bleeder several times. This can also be done on a bench. Thanks everyone for the tips and interest.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Did it work? Hope so.

Dan

Comment

Yes it worked. I thought I was writing it in the past tense. Works great. Car has gone almost two days without him tearing anything else up. Have tomorrow off . Hope to get to tinker with the vetted a little.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                    X