No announcement yet.

Crossmembers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to get the trans up as high as I can, its buried in the floor pointing at 3 degrees down, so I definitely dont want all that contact, so we are raising the crossmember at 4 degrees. Otherwise its cutting out the hump in the floor to get it straight.. The pinion is also about 4 degrees down, so I am figuring to get either the 2 or 4 degree shims to at least get that closer to straight. Do you think two degrees down is too much for that flex?

Ended up cutting out our trunk work and welding in the new shock hump over thanksgiving to get the driver side in the right place so just getting back to finishing up the crossmember..

Comment

i'd say from what i gather,....if your trannys pointing down, and your pinion is pointing down, that's wrong. just my opinion.
      look at the pics in the link i posted. you dont want the driveshaft in a bind.
      i'd put the tranny where you want it, then use however many shims you need to achive the proper pinion angle.
      setting the pinion angle down a degree or 2 is kinda practice for drag racing because of how the rear rotates under hard launches, it will try to rotate upwards. but under hard braking and normal suspension travel, it will angle down too. kind of a trade off i guess? just like any suspension changes, different vehicles respond different. a road racer might want a totally different set up?
      i've always gone with 2-3 degrees down on transplants, never blew a driveshaft, but thats just me.
      the good thing is that you can always add or subtract shims without too much of a hassle.

Comment

Yeah, definitely gonna get the pinion up, the part of your picture I am trying to stay away from is where the u joints wont "work", takes me back to getting the funny car coupler and straight splined shaft in the front engine dragster. The picture they are showing as right has both at the same angle on different planes though. We are centered fine, so I am not worried about that, and those energy suspension motor mounts are alot stiffer than they feel, so most probably will get the pinion level and then go back a few degrees..

Comment

Working...
        X