disc brake swap for early a-body mopar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc brake swap for early a-body mopar

I have been searching craigslist and the classifieds looking for a 73 and later a-body to steal the brakes and rear end out of for my little dart wagon. While searching found a 80 volare for the right price. Question is will the disc brake set up off the volare work and will the rear axle bolt in as well? Trying to go to large pattern wheels and disc in the front and the rear if possible. Thanks for any replies in advance

Re: disc brake swap for early a-body mopar

The quick answer is nope. The Volare/Aspen did not share the same spindle as the A-bodies. The rear end would fit, but the 8-1/4 isn't very strong and you may require some funky offset wheel to accomodate the different track width.

Ron

edit: ooops! I just noticed this is a 1964 Dart wagon, or an EARLY A-body. These cars use a completely different lower control arm than the 1967 and newer units which has a much smaller hole for the lower ball joint. You will need to upgrade to the lower control arms of the 1967 and newer A-body as well. These cars also are narrower between the front frame rails and utilize a different K-member than the newer style.

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info Ron. Was hoping that it would work cause the guy is only asking like 500 bucks for the car. Seems like it is getting harder and harder to find a good donor parts car, every one wants like 1500 to 3000 for there grandma owned four door with a slant six. Oh well thanks again

Comment

If you find more than one organ donor, let Shaun Callaway know. He is working on a 69 Dart that could use an upgrade like that.

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Check this out http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=15
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The spindles will work but they change the geometry slightly, it's been debated in the magazines whether it's enough to be a problem - Mopar Action was of the opinion it was, Mopar Muscle that it wasn't. I did read a write up where they compared bumpsteer and camber curves between the two spindles and there didn't seem to be much difference.

Being an early A body you'd still need to change the upper control arm or modify it to take the larger ball joint. As for the lower arm, I left the stock ones on my '63 Dart wagon and the later Dart spindle bolted straight to it.

The Volare rear would probably fit without too much bother - I know a guy with a 66 Dart wagon with either a Volare or Dakota rear end. He had to fit new spring perches but the width was fine - he's running stock rims and they fit in the arches nicely.

I've got a Dart 8 1/4 in the back of my wagon and it's not given me any bother - I've heard they're good for up to about 300 hp so if you're planning more than that you should look for something beefier.

Comment

Racingsnake is correct. You can put the F-body spindles on an early A-body using '73-'76 A-body upper control arms, and the ball joints from the same year. You'd keep your lower control arms. I've swapped my '66 Dart over to disc brakes using the '73-'76 A body spindles. While the F body spindles are taller, from what I've seen it is not an issue and may be beneficial.

Comment

'Scuse me while I take notes and STFU. Man, I need to get back out in the garage.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                X