pinion race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinion race

I needs some help installing the pinion race. I have two drivers a $30 HF and a $300 set I got from a friend. When I try to drive it in it keeps going in sideways then jams. I end up having g to knock it out and start over. Tips tricks? What am I doing wrong or is it always this difficult?
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

If poor fitting drivers dont work I use a 2lb bronze hammer ...

Comment

deburr the hole, deburr the race, and make sure the race is straight, and stays straight while you're driving it in. No, it's not always easy.
      Last edited by squirrel; November 29, 2014, 08:16 PM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As always, Jim's suggestions are good ones.

Try putting it in the freezer first. I put the driver in there too so it doesn't transfer heat into the race. I get pretty careful about handling them with an oven mitt or some such so my hand doesn't add heat. And yes, they can be a stinker.

Dan

Comment

Long drift with a bevel towards the side used to hammer it in.. Move around, keep it straight.. Be sure you didn't add burrs when you were mis-installing.. It gives a good thunk when it is in as opposed to a ting(I think as I can't hear when it seats.. )

Comment

Like Dan said, freeze the pinion. You can also heat up the bearing in an oven. And use a press rather than beating it on. The two surfaces stay pretty close to parallel so the bearing will not try to get crooked.
            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Thanks guys, the race has been in the freezer over night. I will add the driver. I thought of a way I might be able to combine the two driver sets to make one that fits better than separate. I will hit the edge with a file. The champer in the housing is not consistent and the depth is different at different points around the diameter. I wish they would have machined the shoulder I think it would go in much easier.

Will warming the housing with a propane torch help?

Orange I got the bearing on using my father in law's press.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

the freezer trick works great!

heating anything makes it expand. but i'd be careful with cast iron.

Comment

I ended up making spacers to be able to use the pinion nut to start setting the race in straight. Opened up the old bearing for set up purposes, put the race over that one, and tightened the nut until it started to go in straight, removed the gear and drove it in the rest of the way. You need to find what is straight, with that off chamfer in the housing, straight might be a little different than it seems.

Comment

Yep- I was thinking inner race, not outer race.
                    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

You guys ROCK! I hit it with a file then using the frozen driver the large frozen race went in like butter! Got the smaller in on the second try. Got the axle bearings and seals in as well.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Nice that you got them in, last time I did bearing races in my '99 Z28 I missed the driver with the hammer and smashed my finger into the housing, and sliced it open real good, had to do the ER visit for stitches. Glad yours went uneventful.
                        The Green Machine.
                        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Damn, Al - that's nasty! Hope you're OK.

And Russell - glad that trick worked for you.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X