Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9" carrier install - gasket or just hi temp silicone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9" carrier install - gasket or just hi temp silicone?

OK, so as I sit here typing this it's been some time since I've been on here. Sorry for slacking.
    Anyways my GTS {Gran Torino Sport} decided about 2 months ago to start leaking gear oil.

Which turned into a damn flood of gear oil.

Looking at the rear carrier, I had installed my original 3.50 carrier so I could have some summer fun with the 4 speed. Well, the gasket looks like it ripped in two some how, and all the gear oil from the pumpkin drained out.

Which leads me to this...Do I:

A) install a new gasket dry

or

B) install a gasket back buttered on both sides with orange high temp gasket maker?

Poking around I need to run and grab a gasket. Normally I'd buy through summit racing, but I have some parts not used for a axle job on a buddy's ranger and figure use the money towards my parts.
    Looking at ordering Felpro#2302 differential gasket, and flange gaskets 55065 for the 1976 Torino housing that will be going in the car.

I'm also torn between just stuffing my 2.75 carrier in my '76 housing as driving the car was so much more enjoyable on the road. but the 3.50 gearing is so fun in town.

Hmmm...maybe I need to just get off my duff and put together my 3.10 section?
    Man, I need a TKO500/600...

Also, anyone happen to have the suggestion for the best option for a 9" carrier rebuild kit...Thinking like Randy's, etc.

Also, has anyone had issues with lock rings not keeping the bearing in place? The timkens I put on my the 9" axles in my GTS are the small bearing Torino 9", and the lockring they provided looked about as half the size as the new lock ring. I'm suffering an issue where the axle has about a 1/4" of play side to side and not happen about that. More like a bit freaked out.

Wonder is this a common occurrence if you side lo ad a 9" on a heavy car like mine?

I'm switching to my '76 Torino housing as it's a big bearing unit to hopefully not have this issue.

Thanks again guys. Have a good one.
    Andrew
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

oh, does anyone off hand know what the gasket number is for the pinion housing? Figure I should pop that out and re-seal it too.
    Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

c) use aviation sealer between the gasket and the housing, and between the center and the gasket if you plan to leave those gears in, or grease between the gasket and center if you plan on changing it.

The pinion housing is sealed with an O ring, not a gasket. There is a pinion shim between the pinion housing and the center housing.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

pretty sure the pinion support O ring is National 248 (248 is a standard O ring size)
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Thanks. Truth be told I've never in all my years rebuild a carrier, only swapped them as I've got four laying around or pulled them apart.
          I noticed my '76 carrier with the 2.75 gears leaking a small amount. My 3.50 carrier tends to drip a bit more off the pinion area. I was hoping I could take out the bolts, pull the plate with the pinion, and just reseal it without worrying about the gear mesh / lash.

Andrew

Comment

you should be able to do that. Other common leak areas are the pinion seal, and the splines on the yoke/pinion, if someone didn't put sealer on them when assembling it. If you remove the pinion nut, you need to reset the pinion bearing preload, which usually means installing a new crush sleeve, or shim type replacement for the crush sleeve. That starts to get a little more complicated...
            My fabulous web page

Comment

This is probably a dumb question, but couldn't you just use RTV with no paper gasket? I've never messed with a 9 inch before, but I'm curious.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

depends on how anal you are - the use of a gasket or two or none can change the rear toe.

Comment

also it might make it pretty difficult to separate the third member next time you want to remove it.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

The hot setup for separation is to drill and tap 2 1/4" holes (one on each side of the case) that you can use bolts to screw into and press against the housing to pop it loose.
                    Last edited by cstmwgn; December 9, 2014, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I guess....or just use a gasket, and take it apart easily? that's what I do
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm used to dealing with the carrier, axles and such being stationary, didn't think about altering the locations. Huh. And yeah, the RTV makes the cover more difficult to get off, but a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and it usually pops right off. I always thought of that as a good thing, if it's sealed that well, less likely to develop a leak. Not an opinion based in reality I guess, but it made me feel better.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Thanks guys. What I don't get is why the hell the gasket looks like it ripped on the bottom of the carrier and then leaked. I figured with the carrier bolted down, it would not have leaked.

Also...am I the only guy that uses copper washers on the bolts to act as a crush washer to seal the studs? Something my step dad always did on his stuff and I've continued that habit during installs.
                          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76 View Post
                            Also...am I the only guy that uses copper washers on the bolts to act as a crush washer to seal the studs?.
                            I don't use them on my stuff

Comment

I put them on a rear that I don't want to work on again...but if you have to take them off, they're a bitch.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X