Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9" carrier install - gasket or just hi temp silicone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    The hot setup for separation is to drill and tap 2 1/4" holes (one on each side of the case) that you can use bolts to screw into and press against the housing to pop it loose.
    I like that idea... we were planning on diff girdles on the 8.5's we are using on the s-10 projects... i think that we just may try that one! Thanks! Check for the PM i sent you!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Whatever you do , dont use The Right Stuff if you think you will ever (attempt) to remove the carrier.

I use AN washers and a gasket wetted with gear oil instead of grease. Just a finger wipe.

Comment

You can remove the yoke and replace the pinion seal... First clean and count the thread to nut then scribe and mark on nut and pinion end that line up... remove nut and yoke replace seal reinstall yoke and install nut to the thread count or depth and scribe mark..
        Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
        Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
          edit. . . RTV makes the cover more difficult to get off, but a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and it usually pops right off.
          There is no cover on a 9" Ford. The carrier is removed from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76 View Post
            edit . . . am I the only guy that uses copper washers on the bolts to act as a crush washer to seal the studs?.
            Agree with others...it makes it difficult to get off. I use nuts that have a rubber o-ring incorporated in them. No leaks and easy-off! Bought a box of 100 a few years ago but can't remember the source.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
              The hot setup for separation is to drill and tap 2 1/4" holes (one on each side of the case) that you can use bolts to screw into and press against the housing to pop it loose.
              BRILLIANT! Thank you.

Comment

I still use thick copper washers on the lower (below the gear lube level) studs on the housing. I also use the newer style "plastic" gasket with the Orange "hi-temp" Silicone. No leaks, pretty easy to tap loose the pumpkin with a dead blow hammer. The thick copper washers, sourced from our good local hardware supply place, don't deform as much as the typical thin ones. The gasket is necessary to keep the axle centerline lines perfectly aligned on my Strange fabricated housing. Factory housings are all over the map in terms of squareness.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                  I still use thick copper washers on the lower (below the gear lube level) studs on the housing. I also use the newer style "plastic" gasket with the Orange "hi-temp" Silicone. No leaks, pretty easy to tap loose the pumpkin with a dead blow hammer. The thick copper washers, sourced from our good local hardware supply place, don't deform as much as the typical thin ones. The gasket is necessary to keep the axle centerline lines perfectly aligned on my Strange fabricated housing. Factory housings are all over the map in terms of squareness.
                  Thanks again. I really appreciate the help guys.

Hey Bill, did you ever see my message about the 3310, and also my questions about your strut rod fiasco on the mustang? Could use some feedback.
                  Andrew
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                  2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
                  X