95' F-150 suggestions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95' F-150 suggestions....

So lets say this guy I know is in the process of trying to get 5 more years out of HIS 95' F-150. It runs great but its got 195K on the odometer. He just did a complete tuneup and it picked things up but he thinks his catylatic converter is plugged as hell, this is according to a ford mechenic buddy of his. In 195 K miles its never been changed. The new Y-pipe piece off the manifold and cat is $190. So now hypothetically lets say this guy decided he didnt want to mess with his spendy cat/Ypipe And noticed the O2 sensor was ahead of the Cat. He decided that fabbing a new exaust would cost half as much and he would probably pick up some power/mileage by doing this his way. Would this effect any of the sensors or electronics in his truck by not having the Cat. Again there are no sensors after the cat. Also what kind of power would this buddy of mine pick up just by eliminating the cat. Any suggestions....for my buddy?

Re: 95' F-150 suggestions....

taking the cat out MIGHT throw a check engine lite. if it dose you can get a type of o2 sencor that will fix the light. you can test for back-pressure to "test" the cat. you might gain 5, mabie 10 hp if your lucky.

Comment

I'm assuming that you don't have emissions check where you live? I know in NY you wouldn't be able to get an inspection without the cats in it. If you need to have it in place for the inspection, what about pulling one from the JY? Not the best plan, but may be a lot cheaper.
      sigpic

Comment

Is it clogged or cold?....I would consider buying a new one to make it right..did you check to make sure there isnt 2 O2 senors, one ahead of the cat and one after, I know the 96's are that way, it may be ontop of the pipe...might want to check again....if you only have one and move it, it will through a code and you run the risk of damaging the sensor then...your out another 60 bucks for another O2

Comment

Drill a little hole in the pipe ahead of the converter. Then install a 0-15 psi gauge into the pipe (or hold the end of the hose over the hole) and have you buddy rev it up. If the gauge goes over 2.5 psi or so the converter will need to be replaced.

Make sure the maf sensor is clean too. A little dust build up on the resistor looking pieces will cause a lean condition especially at part throttle. Ford has a tsb out on that.

Comment

^^^^^ this guy knows the simplest trick there is.
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Running cat-less generally won't throw a check engine light on the EEC-IV Ford systems, which was what they used up through 1995. The OBD-II was mandated for 1996, that's when the you got the extra oxygen sensor after the cat (a catalyst monitor in Ford-speak).

cheers
              Ed N.
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
              X