Fixing leaky screw-in freeze plugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing leaky screw-in freeze plugs.

The screw in freeze plugs in my after market 460 Ford block started seeping pretty badly towards the end of Drag Week 2014. They have been in this block since it was purchased new in 2005 and have been good through three refreshes. They seeped enough to get me waved off the starting line on my second and last pass on Saturday, the last day of the event.

the only other possible factor is that I changed from my usual Distilled water and Zerex Super Coolant to Distilled water and Lucas Water Wetter Coolant additive.

The goal is not have to pull the motor.

thoughts?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

water wetter..it seems a hoax. Seal melter is more a better name.

screwed in ought to be easy.
    Is there a taper and tap to get what you want?

been doing a lot with tapered tap lately..can even leave a plug hanging out of the holes..but very tight...or flush mount, below surface. Whatever you want.
    A little patience gets it.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

are you using an anode?
      Free Shipping - Flex-A-Lite Zinc Anode Kits with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Corrosion Inhibitors at Summit Racing.

if not, i'd get one.

the water wetter was good for a 10 degree drop for me.

it might sound stupid, and probably not track legal, but i add a cap full off tranny fliud to my coolant system. i'm no scientist, but believe it adds in lubrication of the waterpump, and coats everything to prevent corrosion & electrolisis. JMO.

Comment

If you're at the track, use bars leaks. If you're not at the track, pull the motor and screw in new freeze plugs - don't jeopardize another event because you didn't want to spend a few hours pulling the motor.
        Last edited by yellomalibu; December 27, 2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I swear by water wetter! The time it takes for a small system to puke with and without water wetter is huge.. Difference between winning the event and getting too hot to finish..

As for your seepage problem, thread sealer?
          Never used screwed in ones ..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            I swear by water wetter! The time it takes for a small system to puke with and without water wetter is huge.. Difference between winning the event and getting too hot to finish..

As for your seepage problem, thread sealer?
            Never used screwed in ones ..
            I posted a link to the thread sealer above.

On the Nascar block that I have, the freeze plugs look to be epoxied into the block and they weren't shy about using it, still wondering how they are going to get them out.
            The Green Machine.
            http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

The green stuff sealant
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I am guessing you can not reach them? The hack in me says cover them with RTV
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                X