Dishwasher based Simple Green / PineSol cleaning locker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher based Simple Green / PineSol cleaning locker

looking for input here. I have had pretty good results using PineSol in the Harbor Freight heated ultrasonic cleaner and I'm thinking larger scale for some of the larger dirty junk I have.

Large steel locker
    Dishwasher pump + spray bar
    Pinesol solution
    55 gallon drum(s) for solution recirculation

I'm thinking transmission and blocks would fit in it size, and the dishwasher heating elements outta get the temp up on the simple green to 150 or so. I'd use the spray bar from the dishwasher to spray the solution, maybe from above. I thought if that didn't work out, I'd get some brass tips for a pressure washer and align them vertically on the four sides.

The water pump in a washer will push water up to at least sink height so I'm figuring I can use 55 gallon barrels and a connector between them about a foot high so the sediment stays mostly in one tank.

Cost is minimal here so I'm not gonna be crushed if it doesn't work, but I feel like I'm overlooking something. Thoughts?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I just used simple green..good stuff.
    still needed a petrol based clean to follow up, but the dirty was nitrile and a couple hundred degrees that created it. Tough problem.

the recirculation will be quite frothy...might bother pumping.

also, aluminum does something wth hydrogen, when exposed to water.. that is more bubbles.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 5, 2015, 04:38 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Why not just buy an old dishwasher? You'dd still need the 55-gal drums for product circulation........
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm not sure it's big enough for C6

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          I'm not sure it's big enough for C6
          Me either......
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I've thought of this myself.
            2 55 Gal drums ,one as a storage tank the other the "locker" cut open like a BBQ grill with nozzles pointing toward center. I was thinking 2 pumps one a scavenge ,the other pressure. One of a few issues was keeping the gunk out of the scavenge pump my thought was pulling the water 4-6" off the bottom with screen covered inlet screen. Rotating the barrel so the large bung is off center. after each use the "locker" would need scooping.
            That was as far as I got.

Comment

Just a question: Will the Simple Green foam up? I'm wondering if you aerate it that much would it foam out all over the floor? Dishwasher soap is powerful stuff and has stuff to keep the foam down. I washed a set of aluminum Buick heads in a dishwasher (#2 wasn't thrilled but took it OK - the divorce came much later) and it worked really well using standard dishwasher soap.

Dan

Comment

Good thoughts, thanks guys! PineSol doesn't bubble that all that much in the ultrasonic unit so I would probably pony up for several gallons of it. The sediment is what is bothering me sorta, but I think I could move the water pickups for the pump up a couple of inches in the washer unit and most of the sediment would settle in the unit. If I discharged into one 55 gallon tank and then equalized the fluid level in them with a pipe between about halfway up, using the second tank as the water supply for the washer, I think a lot of the remaining sediment would settle in the first tank.

Working dishwashers are pretty common around here for free after (during) "remodels", and I have a metal locker donor I'm eying for a donor. Either that or I would combine a couple of dishwashers, which may be the way to go. Double the spray arms!

Thinking about it a little more, maybe 2x30 gallon tanks would make more sense to keep from diluting the goo too much. Would also make cleaning the sediment trap tank a lot easier.
                Last edited by Beagle; January 6, 2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Look around for a place that recycles restaurant equipment and dairy supplies. I bought a stainless steel tank for $50 that had lots of dents and it was perfect for your intended use. might even have a commercial dishwasher available for cheap.

Something like these bad boys. http://www.smbsales.com/product?id=11563
                  Last edited by patrickth; January 6, 2015, 11:50 AM. Reason: Edit to insert link
                  Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Working...
                  X