School me on Retrotek F.I.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School me on Retrotek F.I.

hahahaha bill is so right his car is awesome with the efi on it and he was/is a native carb guy .... that is untill we got him to go to efi (the dark side)

carbs are black magic anyways lol

Comment

spanking lamborghinis on PCH is just a bonus when helping tune Bill's car ;)
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
        spanking lamborghinis on PCH is just a bonus when helping tune Bill's car ;)
        :D :D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill
          Speaking of Retrotek I have a good friend who bought the MassFlo deal with the same idea. Self tuning. In reality its self tuning after you provide most of the parameters for what turns out to be a safe baseline tune that it comes with. It then adjusts to a still safe but slightly less than optimal tune. It was always rich at idle, you could smell it and the plugs told the story. Retrotek has to start even further back form ideal and the packaging dictates so many compromises that I honestly believe your customer would be better off with a carb. (I know, perish the thought on this part of the board)

I was lucky enough to work with Scott and Shaun right out of the gate with a slightly higher power, bigger cam deal and the EMSPro version of Megasquirt. If you are smart enough to be on this board, you are smart enough to make EFI work properly including the dreaded lap top tuning. The resources here are as good as any in the country and the price is right and they/we can help you find the right local help if it is needed.

Real world tuning is where its at even if two old school carb guys took a week to get it right while on the road. Even more important is getting the wiring and install done properly. Wiring, grounds etc. have to be right and frankly that stuff should be right even on a non-efi deal. Especially if you want reliability.

Bringing your tuner along for the ride is also fun especially when you get into fourth gear in a dark industrial park and the tune just hit the sweet spot..

One big difference between Retrotek and Mass Flo - While the Retrotek software recommends using the wideband for self tuning, it doesn't get in your way if you try to tune it yourself, just gives you a big warning that you need to be sure you know what you're doing. The Mass Flow is a chipped Ford EEC-IV and does not give you the option of pulling up the tables and tweaking them by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer

One big difference between Retrotek and Mass Flo - While the Retrotek software recommends using the wideband for self tuning, it doesn't get in your way if you try to tune it yourself, just gives you a big warning that you need to be sure you know what you're doing. The Mass Flow is a chipped Ford EEC-IV and does not give you the option of pulling up the tables and tweaking them by hand.
            Some of the MassFlo crowd have had good luck using Tweecer to get the tune right.

One thing I noticed about bill's friend's car, which is a nice clean little hotrod, is that the accel enrichments are WAAAY too fat at tip-in. It's because he has bigger injectors than what runs on your typical SB Ford, and it appears that massflo didn't scale back the accel enrichments.

The car runs fat at idle and tip-in but is smooth and gives him no trouble.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

bill friends hot rod is bad ass i think when he brought it to the shop that one day we stood around it for and hour or so just looking at it lol

the tweecer software works pretty good for this stuff but you really need to know what your doing.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway
                i dont want to take over this thread from chris so we can further this conversation if you want in another thread (start a new one)

No need. Please continue... Im enjoying the lesson! ;D

Chris 8)

Comment

hey chris sorry i missed your call last night i left my phone in my car lol we are looking at the 20th for the bbq

Comment

Working...
                  X