FiTech TBI units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gdh View Post
    I've read a number of nightmare stories about the Command Center, none about the tbi unit. Over at Chevelle.com the CC problems are well documented, FiTech always insists that it is unaware of ssues with the CC. Most switched to an efi tank and sent the CC back, have also talked with a guy who is running a C5 regulator with the original C2 tank. The guys with the CC issues got to know the local tow company well.
    our trouble with the command center was constant overflow thru the vent, and its a bit worrysome since the pump wires are exposed and bolted right thru the top. The guy asked if we had turned it upside down. Thats an old carburetor float deal. I said, well, it came in UPS, I highly doubt they kept it in the upright position all the way here. Ended up just running another line back to the tank, welded in a flared fitting angled down in the neck, which they tell you to do anyway, but its a constant return flow. Asked if we could take it apart and he said I guess you can get some kind of a strap wrench and put it in a vice if you want to get in side. We chose to accept the vent line as a return.

Comment

Yup, that's exactly what ppl have ben saying about the verflow. Was the unit very hot as well? Another concerning issue with gas and overflw.

Comment

The thing that confuses me most about it is how sensitive it appears to be. I thought the design was pretty solid and bullet proof. In my case, I don't use any moving parts in my surge canisters and simply let it open flow back to the gas tank once it's full, and have had zero issues with that arraignment on two cars going back to 2009 and around 100,000 miles of driving. I wouldn't have expected any issues with the carb float set up either, even with the "vent" tube getting fuel into it, but I guess there is some hiccup with it that isn't well understood by FiTech (or me!).

I understand their reasoning for using a vent instead of full flow back to the tank, its so they can use OE vent lines on the car that have a restrictor orifice and can not handle a constant liquid flow through it. If they made it an unrestricted return like I have, it would require dropping the gas tank and adding a return or modifying the vent (which may not be feasible on many models).

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

What I don't get is, why is this socially acceptable:

And this gets NSA called on you??

Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 24, 2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

We all came to the conclusion that there is a serious design flaw in the FCC that FiTech needs to acknowledge and fix. Some who did not initially have issues with theirs said that it was an installation error or some other mistake that the owner had done - a couple of owners were told that by a FiTech tech as well. Then when the nits that had been working stranded the owner they finally got it. Sent the unit back demanded full refund.

Here I fixed your issue so now NSA won't have concerns.

Comment

LOL, protective services! I've since moved away from the iron pipe design to box tubing, but it was a very effective surge tank I was able to make without a welder and easy to clamp into place.

Originally posted by gdh View Post

Comment

in case anyone is looking, I noticed a 100.00 rebate on the 600 hp units from now til christmas. We ended up getting an e street, and even though there are probably more parameters in the tablet from the app, the tunes seem to all be rich, way rich. We could not keep waiting for the Sniper, and probably should have gone with the fitech. I still used the fitech command center deal since I did not like the plastic looking sump edelbrock sells.

Comment

Sure wish I had the fab shop skills like The Silver Buick or the tuning skills of Blue Cuda, but sadly I'm just an old diesel wrench, so I am one of the folks looking at the FiTech 8 injector model with FCC. Tired of trying to make the big cubes go on these cold mornings.

Does anyone out there have any miles on these units? I drive my junk every day and need better mpg plus less than 10 minute warm up time.
                  Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Jesse I have heard of problems with distribution etc, even reports of cars being significantly down on power due to the poor distribution. I think something with port injection would be more suited for something like greeny. If green was a stock BBC with headers the fitech might be OK but you actually make some pretty good steam to push that thing down the track as fast as you do.
                    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                      Jesse I have heard of problems with distribution etc, even reports of cars being significantly down on power due to the poor distribution. I think something with port injection would be more suited for something like greeny. If green was a stock BBC with headers the fitech might be OK but you actually make some pretty good steam to push that thing down the track as fast as you do.

That's what has me leaning to a new 850 with mechanical choke for winter and line out my 1050 for summer & playing at TRP.

More in my price range anyway.
                      Last edited by greenXpress; February 13, 2017, 07:30 PM.
                      Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

I don't see any problem with having a street carb and a race carb!
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                        X