Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Alone 4L80E, Microsquirt vs. GPIO

Hello All,

Which is the better idea for a 4L80E on a carbed motor with the possibility of going EFI later on (though maybe much later), Microsquirt or GPIO?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

The MicroSquirt transmission control code is a lot easier to use - it has a dedicated 4L80E mode, just enable that and set your shift curves.

GPIO MegaShift code is a lot more complicated to set up but has more flexibility if you wanted to do something nonstandard like, say, putting a Gear Vendors overdrive on it and turn it into an 8 speed.

Comment

Dollar for dollar it looked like a pair of Microsquirts would be the way to go.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'd heard of Megashift but not Microsquirt handling transmission control. Nice!
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          I'd heard of Megashift but not Microsquirt handling transmission control. Nice!
          It just hit a stable release last week. See this link:

Transmission control for Megasquirt ECUs. Installs on a Microsquirt. GM 4L80E, 4L60E, 4T40E and more.

Comment

Matt,

I see that the 4L60E and 4L80E are both listed as stable for the microsquirt, any idea if/when a 5L40/50E will be made for the microsquirt? Found it was successful on the GPIO and I am pondering a lower power cruiser that could use an extra gear.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Just wondering why you're not looking at the TCI EZ-TCU for your controller?
              The Green Machine.
              http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                Just wondering why you're not looking at the TCI EZ-TCU for your controller?
                I don't see 5L40/50E on the list of "4L60E, 4L65E, 4L80E, and 4L85E"

4L80E on a carbed engine... why should I pay $615 for an EZ-TCU when a microsquirt to do just the transmission is ~$400 depending on harness length and your scavenging skills for the harness plugs.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                  Matt,

I see that the 4L60E and 4L80E are both listed as stable for the microsquirt, any idea if/when a 5L40/50E will be made for the microsquirt? Found it was successful on the GPIO and I am pondering a lower power cruiser that could use an extra gear.
                  Currently in development status - it can be set up now, just be aware that some bugs may need to be worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post

Currently in development status - it can be set up now, just be aware that some bugs may need to be worked out.
                    as long as it's not "Applies Reverse Servo instead of 5th" ...
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post

why should I pay $615 for an EZ-TCU when a microsquirt to do just the transmission is ~$400 depending on harness length and your scavenging skills for the harness plugs.
                      I paid $350 for my EZ-TCU, brand new in the box, Ebay score. The thing I like about the EZ TCU is you don't need a laptop to use it.

And why do you want to run a 5l40e??, I mean other than the extra gear, those transmissions are only rated to 250ft-lbs, and the 5l50e is only rated to 311ft-lbs, a far cry from what a 4l80e is rated at. And have you even looked to see if anyone makes a stall converter for a 5l40e or are you just going to use the stock stall?
                      The Green Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                        And why do you want to run a 5l40e??, I mean other than the extra gear, those transmissions are only rated to 250ft-lbs, and the 5l50e is only rated to 311ft-lbs, a far cry from what a 4l80e is rated at. And have you even looked to see if anyone makes a stall converter for a 5l40e or are you just going to use the stock stall?
                        Two separate projects. The 4L80E was for a 71-76 Buick Estate Wagon idea for a tow vehicle that seats 9 and is not a Suburban. That idea is now abandoned and I almost have my 4L80E running with a 4T65E computer for my Riviera.

The 5L50E is for an idea I had using a 64-65 Buick Skylark/Special A-body 4dr with a ~250hp NA 3800 Series II motor as a daily driver and cruiser. Was just wondering if I could keep the stock ECM for the engine and then keep from using a PCS controller for a 5L50E swap down the line to try and eek out a bit more around town mileage. I'd stick with whatever it came with or have a semi-custom unit built out of a stock core. Wonder when someone will hack a 6L50E.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Micro is light years ahead of the EZ-TCU in actual use. First thing you'll want is shift points based on RPM, not input shaft RPM. If you run nitrous or boost, your stall speed changes so you have to figure out your shift points every time you change power levels - unless your standalone TCU can detect engine RPM.

The other huge advantage is, if you run a Megasquirt-based ECU for engine control, the two devices link together via CAN. This now lets you do things like "retreive engine load from the ECU" instead of hook up wires to MAP, RPM, etc. Also lets you retard timing during shifts for OEM-like torque management, a huge deal on a big boosted auto trans car IMO. Keep from breaking hard parts.

Not to mention datalogging capability. I think the EZ is targeted at the Good Guys crowd who want stock-ish shift performance on a stock-ish combo.
                          Last edited by dieselgeek; May 27, 2015, 07:49 AM.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Actually the EZ TCU uses load, speed and an engine RPM signal from the tach output on the ignition box to calculate shift points, it is CAN compatible, it also stores multiple tunes that can be switched to in real time by the press of a button, gives both self and manual tuning options and you can use a paddle shifter with it. It also gives you the option of running the trans in full manual mode and has a Limp Mode option too, not to mention it also has built in troubleshooting diagnostics.

I'm sure both controllers are great controllers that will do the job, but lets keep it real about what they can and can't do.
                            Last edited by BigAL; May 27, 2015, 11:35 AM.
                            The Green Machine.

Comment

Well, you might want to go read the instructions and then "keep it real" LMAO. The EZ_TCU trans controller doesn't "self tune"
                              Microsquirt also has paddle shift and manual modes. The EZ-TCU "CAN" bus is compatible with... zero third party devices so what exactly do you use it for? Built in "troubleshooting diagnostics" - same thing as everyone else.

What they have over MS is fancy marketing that gets guys like you to "spread the word" and maybe buy one, but never ever ever install it.

The Real has been Kept.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X