Stand Alone 4L80E, Microsquirt vs. GPIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
    Micro is light years ahead of the EZ-TCU in actual use. First thing you'll want is shift points based on RPM, not input shaft RPM. If you run nitrous or boost, your stall speed changes so you have to figure out your shift points every time you change power levels - unless your standalone TCU can detect engine RPM.

The other huge advantage is, if you run a Megasquirt-based ECU for engine control, the two devices link together via CAN. This now lets you do things like "retreive engine load from the ECU" instead of hook up wires to MAP, RPM, etc. Also lets you retard timing during shifts for OEM-like torque management, a huge deal on a big boosted auto trans car IMO. Keep from breaking hard parts.
    Wrapping back to a slight twist the original question. If you were going full on MS bases Engine and Trans control, would you do a pair of Microsquirts, an MS# and a GPIO, or an MS# and a Microsquirt?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

My stance is the same, if you want sequential injection then MS3/3x+microsquirt, if you are good with batch fire you can't really beat a micro/micro combination.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Well, you might want to go read the instructions and then "keep it real" LMAO. The EZ_TCU trans controller doesn't "self tune"
        Microsquirt also has paddle shift and manual modes. The EZ-TCU "CAN" bus is compatible with... zero third party devices so what exactly do you use it for? Built in "troubleshooting diagnostics" - same thing as everyone else.

What they have over MS is fancy marketing that gets guys like you to "spread the word" and maybe buy one, but never ever ever install it.

The Real has been Kept.
        You really have no idea what you're talking about do you?, maybe you should actually read up about what you're talking about, this is from TCI's web page.

"For computer controlled transmissions, nothing beats the new TCI® EZ-TCU™ by FAST™. No software, laptop or tuning experience is required. Simply install this transmission control unit according to the enclosed instructions, and then start the system by answering the simple Setup Wizard questions on the included hand-held unit. It’s that easy; the EZ-TCU™ does all the work for you!"

Go here read the instructions.... And if it isn't compatible with other CAN devices, then how do we know the MS controller will be?

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/ez-tcutm-t...85e-to-09html/
        Last edited by BigAL; May 27, 2015, 01:03 PM.
        The Green Machine.
        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I kinda expected Big Al to come back with something better than that, lol. Didn't see anything about self tuning in his post.

Moving on, Exactly what Randal said!! If you want onboard logging, sequential EFI, and "all the features you didn't realize you wanted" then MS3Pro + Microsquirt. Extra inputs on the Micro can be fed via CAN to the MS3Pro for datalogging, and actions.

I don't know of ANY ECUs that talk to something like the EZ-TCU via CAN.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I kinda expected Big Al to come back with something better than that, lol. Didn't see anything about self tuning in his post.

I don't know of ANY ECUs that talk to something like the EZ-TCU via CAN.
            It says it right there in the advertising on their web page, it also says it right there on the front of the box I have, "Self Calibrating" and just cause "YOU" don't know of any ECU's that work with it's CAN bus, doesn't mean there aren't any, I"m sure all the FAST and Holley ECU's do, since it's FAST that makes the EZ TCU controller for TCI. Also I thought CAN has a universal standard that everyone fallows, as in ISO 11898-3.
            The Green Machine.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Please take it somewhere else. I asked my question and I am mainly interested in the Megasquirt based stuff since I tend towards DIY. I answered your suggestion about the EZ-TCU as it pertained to me. If you would like to hash it out about what EZ-TCU can or can't do; please make your own thread.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                Gentlemen,

Please take it somewhere else. I asked my question and I am mainly interested in the Megasquirt based stuff since I tend towards DIY. I answered your suggestion about the EZ-TCU as it pertained to me. If you would like to hash it out about what EZ-TCU can or can't do; please make your own thread.
                Sorry man, just hate it when people spread misinformation.
                The Green Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post

Sorry man, just hate it when people spread misinformation.
                  right. How about tell us how your installation and tuning went.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                  X